Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats

(17 Posts)
WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 10:18:30

For two out of the last three nights I've woken in the night drenched with sweat with the sheets wringing wet. Does anyone know if there's any other cause of night sweats other than menopause? I'm otherwise well, no fever or anything ... and mortified at the thought that I might be starting the menopause at 41!

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 10:22:02

now we ahd a thread ont his recently where I was interested as for me night sweats were post natal - it was only a few motnhs ago wwb - have a look

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 10:27:27

Thanks coddy - I'll have a search

kando Thu 20-Jan-05 10:30:34

I'd be interested in any responses too - I get this every now and then ... but I'm only 32!

[Has happened to me the past two nights, but I'm hoping it's my awful cold working its way out of my system.]

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 10:31:59

I know an overactive thryroid can do it but mine is underactive and I'm on thyroxine, so it's not that.

secur Thu 20-Jan-05 10:32:25

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 10:34:41

I don't think it's the heating - we don't have it on in the bedroom at night, and dh reckons it's freezing while I've been there wringing wet!

littlemissbossy Thu 20-Jan-05 10:34:49

wwb, night sweats can be perimenopausal, a thyroid problem or even hormonal imbalance... if it continues a visit to the doc for a blood test might help

secur Thu 20-Jan-05 10:36:27

Message withdrawn

bonym Thu 20-Jan-05 12:15:30

I had these a couple of years back - I was on the Yasmin pill at at the time and thought it might be side effect of that. Also we'd recently bought a feather mattress topper and I'd wondered if it was just making me too warm in bed. Anyway, I stopped taking the pill and got rid of the topper and haven't suffered since - although I'm afraid I can't remember in what order I did this so can't determine which of the two (if any) was causing the problem. As I wasn't getting them every night it was hard to pinpoint.

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 12:20:12

they are really unpleaseant
was hegtting thourgh 2 pairs of pjs a night
even my calfs were sweaty

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 12:21:01

its hard to explain emphasisis why they are so bad really
for me it was to do with hormones and breastfeeding

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 14:05:56

It's horrible, I don't wear PJs but I've had to change the sheets both nights, they were dripping wet. I'm not on the Pill or breastfeeding, so it's neither of those. I'm on thyroxine so it's not overactive thyroid, and the only other thing I could think of was menopause.

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 14:08:08

I had to waer pjs even though is was roasting to mop up the sweat to stop me having to get duvet cleaned

gingernut Thu 20-Jan-05 14:30:10

I was just about to suggest wearing a nightshirt or something to soak it up when I read your last post coddy.

I get it postnatally too, while b/feeding.

WWB, could it be something to do with your cycle? Or maybe thyroxine dose needs to be adjusted?

If you take a paracetamol before going to bed and tie up hair if long these might help a bit.

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 14:41:07

Thyroxine was checked about 6 weeks ago and was OK. I don't know whether it's related to my periods or not, last one was last week so without waiting until the next one, I don't know.

bagpussmice Thu 20-Jan-05 20:31:03

WWB - I am also 40, get night sweats and on thyroxine... I haven't noticed when in my cycle I get them, but I'll mentally take note this month. I can only sympathise with you - maybe keep a window open when it happens?
Ps. I was told I was going through an early menopause about 6 years ago when I was trying to conceive and since then I have produced two bouncing babes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now