Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen, bruised knuckles - and not from punching anyone!!

(10 Posts)
miam Wed 19-Jan-05 16:26:29

One of the knuckles on my right hand has been becoming very painful and swollen off and on. It looks bruised and is sore to touch and move. I read up about arthritis (paranoid!!) which said that a symptom is that the joint is often hot and inflamed, which mine is not - just very bruised. Does anyone have any idea what this can be?

Frizbe Wed 19-Jan-05 16:27:13

do you get tendons round your knuckles? have you pulled one and not realised it? job for the quack me thinks?

miam Wed 19-Jan-05 16:30:46

Have no idea Frizbe. It's weird because I had it last week and just thought I had bashed my hand off something and then it cleared up. But today it has flared up really badly again! I hate bothering the doc for something that seems so trivial, but perhaps I should get it looked at.

WigWamBam Wed 19-Jan-05 18:46:05

Could it be bursitis?

WigWamBam Wed 19-Jan-05 19:28:33

miam, is it your mouse finger? It could be bursitis, or some other form of RSI. You need to have it checked out.

Frizbe Wed 19-Jan-05 19:34:13

Yep get it checked out!

miam Wed 19-Jan-05 21:04:42

WWB - thought your were joking when you asked if it was my mouse-finger lol. But yes - it is!!!! Have had a look at bursitis and it does sound like it may be some kind of RSI (can I sue MN for being too addictive???). Thanks a lot both. xx

WigWamBam Wed 19-Jan-05 21:08:18

Get it checked out quickly, miam. I have had RSI for 10 years, take it from someone who (unfortunately) knows ... it needs looking at. Stop using the mouse for a bit if you can, take lots of breaks from the computer altogether, at least once every 2 hours move away from the desk for ten minutes.

miam Wed 19-Jan-05 21:10:20

Lots of rests from MN - is it possible???? Thanks WWB. I think I'm getting old - have had more aches and pains this last year than in my entire life boo hoo. Will I need medication for it or is it something you just have to live with?

WigWamBam Wed 19-Jan-05 21:11:03

I just have to live with it - medication doesn't help. I have some splints which I used at first, but the only thing that really helps is rest - in my case it was too late.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now