Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I felt ill-prepared for ds's MRI

(17 Posts)
expatkat Mon 17-Jan-05 23:55:50

No one told me, for example, to take off my watch while I was in the room with ds, holding his hand. The watch stopped, of course.

And no one told me if I was allowed to talk to ds or not, so I played it safe and sat there in virtual silence, as he grew ever more anxious.

And this MRI completely lacked that space-agey rocket-tube contraption thingey; the whole thing was wide open. We must have been magnetized to the hilt.

I had to sign a form to say I deffo wasn't pregnant and had no metal implants, so that much I knew.

But it all seemed sloppy. I really regretted having it done at that hospital; I hear bad enough things about it already.

Perhaps I should write a complaint?

sparklymieow Mon 17-Jan-05 23:58:03

what do you mean by it was wide open, My kids have had MRIs and the machine is in the middle of a room, and the patient go into a tunel.

colditzmum Mon 17-Jan-05 23:58:19

Do it. You have a right to be told what to expect when you or your child go into hospital for any procedure!

essbee Mon 17-Jan-05 23:59:14

Message withdrawn

expatkat Tue 18-Jan-05 00:00:39

No tunnel, mieow. That's what I mean!

sparklymieow Tue 18-Jan-05 00:02:02

was it a brain scan?? I thought the tunnel was part of it, as it takes pics from all areas

expatkat Tue 18-Jan-05 00:04:16

It scanned his sinuses and adenoids. Totally localized. It had a sort of plastic-y mini "open" tunnel, i.e. a kind of skeleton of a tunnel. I don't know. It just made me uncomfortable.

(Though I acknowledge knowing NOTHING about these things.)

sparklymieow Tue 18-Jan-05 00:08:05

what hospital was it?

sparklymieow Tue 18-Jan-05 00:12:03

I thik my dad had a MRI done without the tunnel, and that was done at the same hospital as DD1 and DD2 scans, and they went into the tunnel so maybe it can be removed for different things

expatkat Tue 18-Jan-05 00:12:07

Portland

essbee Tue 18-Jan-05 00:12:39

Message withdrawn

expatkat Tue 18-Jan-05 00:12:39

I feel better to hear your possible explanation, mieow.

sparklymieow Tue 18-Jan-05 00:14:32

DS MRIs were done at GOS and that was a tunnel too as they all had brain scans, but the girls were done at our local hospital.

fefifofum Tue 18-Jan-05 02:49:05

I was a radiographer in my earlier days and can tell you that there are a couple of different types of MRI scanners - the newer 'open' ones are supposed to be good for people who are claustrophobic/are too big to fit in the closed ones/children who could be scared in the closed ones. The magnetic force in the room is the same whether you are in a closed or open one, and there are no known side effects, however they take the precaution with pregnant women tho just in case.

It's a shame they didn't prepare you properly - you should have been encouraged to talk so that you could have kept him calm, tho it was essential that he didn't talk or move. I've had a couple of MRI scans in a research place as a guineapig and altho it wasn't the nicest experience (the machine is extra deep in research facilities so you really do disappear into it like a coffin), they see incredible detail that I'm sure will help your ds.
hth

kinderbob Tue 18-Jan-05 05:39:09

I'd write and suggest that they prepare a little booklet aimed at parents or anxious people with some tips, pictures and frequently asked questions.

I took my ds for a bloodtest last week and I prepared him for every little part, but it was easy because I had bloodtests whilst pg, so I knew what to expect. I've also had an CT scan of my sinuses, but wouldn't know what to do about accompanying a child to have one.

Sell it by saying the scans will be quickly and less traumatic for the operators if the children and parents are more prepared.

expatkat Tue 18-Jan-05 08:05:04

That's reassuring fefifofum.

I'll take your advice kinderbob (& colditz).

Hausfrau Tue 18-Jan-05 08:18:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now