Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Terrible night time cough

(16 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 17-Jan-05 22:01:30

DD (5yrs) has had a really nasty night time cough for a few nights now. It is much worse tonight. Have given her Tixylix cough medicine and sips of water but she is still hacking like mad and crying out. Anyone have any tips please??? Am desperate for a full nights sleep tonight.

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 22:02:11

Bowl of hot water (out of reach) with drops of Olbas oil (or similar).

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 22:02:54

Yes I put boiling water with olbas oil under dd's cot the other night and it was instant! Also benylin (sp?) night cough is good.

SPARKLER1 Mon 17-Jan-05 22:07:10

Hmmmm - not sure if we have any. Shall have to have a rummage. If not shall have to have another bad night and go to chemist tomorrow.

romantick Mon 17-Jan-05 22:13:17

phone a doctor and get advice.
could be allergic to something or have mild astma
ring up nhs direct for advice .they are very helpful

SPARKLER1 Mon 17-Jan-05 22:15:23

Just found a tiny dot of vicks vaporub in the bottom of a jar and a Kalvol capsule I forgot we had. Let's hope it will work for tonight.

KatieMac Mon 17-Jan-05 22:16:39

Just boiling water will help.....do you have an aromotherapy thingy with a tea light underneath?

I used a small fondu dish once - just with warm water in it.

Do you have any Lavander or anything calming?

Even lemon juice (in the burner) might help

Jimjams Mon 17-Jan-05 22:18:02

DS2 had this cough for weeks and weeks (coughing until retching every night). I used a mixture of steam with lavender oil, and lots of drinks when he coughed (some nights I was up with him for 40 minutes before he settled again). When it was really bad I kicked dh out and took him into my bed. I also used homeopathy (sepia worked well with him) but can be difficult to get the riight remedy without professional advice.

Hughsie Mon 17-Jan-05 22:18:48

Proppimg the end of the bed up heklped my ds who is 4 - cough is much worse if they lay flat. owl of water next to radiator or a wet towel on the readiator too. Medised may give some more restful sleep but I know som HV say you should not knock out a child with a cough as they need to be able to respond to the reflex!

Good luck

SPARKLER1 Mon 17-Jan-05 22:34:13

Thanks for the tips everyone. Fingers crossed she has gone quiet. Think she has exhausted herself.

SPARKLER1 Tue 18-Jan-05 21:48:11

Well here we are - another night of endless coughing. Have rubbed vicks into her chest/throat, Kalvol on pillow, cough medicine before bed and even got the olbas oil in hot water in her room. Doesn't seem to be working.

Fimbo Tue 18-Jan-05 21:52:05

I have gone thru this Sparkler with my dd, I eventually propped her pillows up with a "V" pillow which helped along with a dose of Medised (which I only found out about thru Mumsnet)

SPARKLER1 Tue 18-Jan-05 21:52:37

We've doubled up her pillows too - forgot to mention that one!

SPARKLER1 Tue 18-Jan-05 21:59:41

bless her - we've just brought her downstairs to sleep on sofa while I watch TV. Haven't stopped going up and downstairs all evening. Only way we are going to get any rest this evening.

SPARKLER1 Tue 18-Jan-05 22:06:27

Anyone else know of anything that could help? I am willing to try anything to get some sleep?

Hughsie Tue 18-Jan-05 22:22:13

Total sympathy - try the medised - it usually settles mine. They do seem to eventually tire themselves out.

hope you get some rest

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: