Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Natural(ish) Remedies for Gout?

(8 Posts)
KatieMac Mon 17-Jan-05 19:10:53

My Gardener (& Friend) has Gout (In his hands) and is very uncomfortable (so he says - I suspect pain)....

He is going down the conventional medicine route - but would consider a natural remedy if he could take it along side the conventional medicine.

Any Ideas?

KatieMac Mon 17-Jan-05 21:09:26

Bump

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 21:10:36

Sorry - I haven't the first idea. There used to be a mum on MN called NatureDoc who might be able to help though.

KatieMac Mon 17-Jan-05 21:43:16

Thanks anyway Ilovemarmite

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 21:52:53

I have just had a quick look at my herbal book (New Holistic Herbal by David Hoffmann) he says:

"This is a very specific variety of joint problems due to a build-up of acid in the body which causes extremely painful inflammations. The body needs aid in elimination, especially frm the kidneys. The use of diuretics we well as anti-rheumatic merbs will ehlp. Herbs such as Celery, Boneset, Wild Carrot and Yarrow are especially helpful out of all the diuretic available. The following mixture may prove useful:

Burdock Root 1 part
Celery Seed 1 part
Yarrow 1 part

Drink this infusion three times daily over a period of time. If there is much pain, Thuja may be included in the mixture.

Diet is paramount in treating and preventing reoccurance of gout. A low acid diet provides the basis with a strict avoidance of foods rich in purines that are metabolised in the body to uric acid. These foods include fish such as sardines, anchovies, fish roe, shell fixh and crab, liver, kidney, sweetbreads and beans. Coffee and tea should be left alone and any over-indulgence in general is out. Alcohol has to be totally avoided"

Hope this is helpful.

KatieMac Mon 17-Jan-05 21:55:12

Well he never drinks alcohol....tea occasionally - but he hates fish.....I'll suggest the herbs

Thanks very much

NatureDoc Mon 24-Jan-05 21:43:37

Hoffman's herbal formulas are fantastic - just what I would prescribe!

pixiefish Mon 24-Jan-05 22:07:00

cherry juice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now