Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aromatherapy, Indian Head Massage etc for cancer sufferers

(10 Posts)
fairyfly Mon 17-Jan-05 17:29:30

Mentioned this in another thread but has anyone found anything helpful or know of anyone who found anything helpful. Was wondering the best thing to book to help my mum along. What are the best healing oils etc. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

lockets Mon 17-Jan-05 17:52:18

Message withdrawn

lockets Mon 17-Jan-05 18:00:20

Message withdrawn

fairyfly Mon 17-Jan-05 18:07:48

Thanks lockets and im so sorry, hope you are alright at this time and my thoughts are with you.

lockets Mon 17-Jan-05 18:38:25

Message withdrawn

BadHair Mon 17-Jan-05 19:05:53

Hi FF, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, and I hope that you're all OK.

I did a massage class a few years ago and the masseuse running it said that you weren't supposed to massage people with certain cancers as it could cause them to move around. I don't know how true this is or for what types of cancer, but just be a bit wary in case it's right.

Sorry to sound so grim but just thought I'd pass it on in case.

rosies Mon 17-Jan-05 22:52:19

as students, cancer is contra indicated, but us professionals, many therapists treat cancer patients and indeed many cancer units have massage therapists on site.

your mum may need to look around for a therapist who will treat, as some (like me) have not had the experience BUT they are out there, so persevere.

she may also have to get a consent letter from her gp/ consultant, but the therapist will advise you on this.

as for specific treatments, i'd think holistic massage or aromatherapy would be best for her as IHM can be too stimulating. mind you, she may prefer reflexology or reiki even.

here is a directory of therapists.

best wishes

lockets Mon 17-Jan-05 23:12:33

Message withdrawn

NatureDoc Mon 24-Jan-05 21:28:53

Try Bristol Cancer Care for all cancers or Haven Trust if it is breast cancer - both are great resources.

fairyfly Mon 24-Jan-05 21:34:57

Thanks for all your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now