Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH has a blocked ear...

(9 Posts)
kid Mon 17-Jan-05 13:21:33

Dh has had a blocked ear for the past few days and he thinks it is getting worse. It doesn't hurt but he can't hear hardly anything. I think it was after he had a bath that it felt blocked so what do you think he can do to relieve it quickly. I can't speak to the Dr until tomorrow, I will pop into the pharmacy tonight but I'd thought I might get some useful help here, (I usually do!)
He has tried an ear bud and also tried making his ears pop, but it hasn't worked. I got some cotton wool today so he can see if that makes any difference. He basically can't take the time off work to go the dr's so will only go as a last resort, inlike me that seems to be at the Dr's all the time!

vict17 Mon 17-Jan-05 13:23:12

could it be blocked up with ear wax? You need to get him some ear drops (ask the pharmacist) and book an appointment to get his ears syringed if that is what it is. Cotton buds are very dangerous and shouldn't be inserted into the ear as it is such a delicate organ

littlemissbossy Mon 17-Jan-05 13:25:42

kid, it sounds like a build up of earwax, my dh suffers from this from time to time, you can buy ear drops from the pharmacy. The following info from the nhs direct website:

You should never put any object into your ears to try to clear earwax.

See your pharmacist or GP for eardrops, which you can use to clear blockages of earwax. These contain softening substances such as sodium bicarbonate, almond oil, olive oil, baby oil, or glycerin. You should let the bottle stand at room temperature for about half an hour before using them, then pour a few drops into the affected ear. Lie on your side with the affected ear facing upwards and stay like this for a few minutes. This softens the wax. Repeat this 3-4 times a day for about a week and the plug should break up and come out of the ear.

Syringing may be needed if eardrops do not work. You will need to use eardrops for a few days before to soften the wax. Then your practice nurse or GP will squirt lukewarm water into your ear to dislodge the plug. Syringing may not be advisable for everyone, for example if you have a perforated eardrum or a history of ear infections. You should not attempt to do this at home, as it can cause damage to the eardrum.

kid Mon 17-Jan-05 13:26:07

I thought that as it happened after a bath, it was blocked with water. He uses the earbuds carefully (doen't dig deep). I know they can be dangerous, why do they sell them?!
I will get him some drops this afternoon. How long do you think it would take for them to start working?

kid Mon 17-Jan-05 13:27:49

thanks for that. I'm sure I saw an advert a while ago about a new way to clean earwax. It is a suction type of thing. Does anyone know what I mean or did I imagine it?!

vict17 Mon 17-Jan-05 13:28:33

well with me the drops just soften the wax, they don't dislodge it, so I still have to get them syringed I'm afraid! No idea why they sell cotton buds - I'm not sure what people use them for other to shove down their ears when they shouldn't!!

littlemissbossy Mon 17-Jan-05 13:29:11

I'd just buy the drops, use them for a few days and if no better, get him into the gp for them syringing, don't waste your money on anything else

kid Wed 19-Jan-05 20:33:00

been using the eardrops since Monday and he still can't hear. I can see a loads of wax in his ear so I think he needs to go and get it syringed now.

tillykins Wed 19-Jan-05 20:39:06

audiclean from boots, its about £6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now