Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Undershot jaw at 27mths...

(27 Posts)
smellymelly Mon 17-Jan-05 13:00:23

Dd1 still has an undershot jaw at age 2. I seem to remember Ds1 being the same, but he is fine now..(aged 5)

Is this normal? When will it rectify itself?

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 13:15:27

ooh is htis an over bite?
ds2 has one - unoticed till he was about 2 by myself! bad mum.

his depnds on hwen his next teeth come thorugh

smellymelly Mon 17-Jan-05 13:29:17

Her bottom jaw is not noticably out of line, it is just her bottom teeth are in front of her top teeth when she bites them together.

connyflower Mon 17-Jan-05 13:31:11

is it not an underbite if the bottom teeth are infront of the top teeth,

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 13:31:12

yep thats it
ds3 too
dentist said maybe a brace, maybe top teeth will come down better next time

its a n over bite
like MUtley!

connyflower Mon 17-Jan-05 13:32:19

ive got overbite too and have to have brace on now at 26

smellymelly Mon 17-Jan-05 13:34:45

Now I'm confused!

What ever it is called, is it normal before the big teeth come through at age 3??

lowcalCOD Mon 17-Jan-05 13:36:27

well I t must be quite normal!!
they ahave a code for it at the dentist
she said "oh he is " xyz" isnt he?"
"is he ?" said I!!

smellymelly Mon 17-Jan-05 19:19:21

bump

smellymelly Tue 18-Jan-05 16:25:58

Help??

lowcalCOD Tue 18-Jan-05 20:31:55

think you have your answers sm
I dont know hwta else to say!

jabberwocky Tue 18-Jan-05 20:40:28

My ex is a pediatric dentist. He did lots of appliances as intervention at fairly early ages to help things along with the child's growth. Not sure how young he started though but it's worth going in for an eval.

Evesmama Tue 18-Jan-05 20:43:48

my top teeth are over my bottom teeth when i bite too????didnt realise this was wrong????

lowcalCOD Tue 18-Jan-05 20:46:14

jabber
tell me how to do this
my dentist said it was not a problem
can you ask dh if i shoudl press for a referral
ds2 is 4

jabberwocky Tue 18-Jan-05 20:51:25

It may be that he feels it is too soon to try anything and that it may work itself out. Is he a pediatric dentist or just a general one? I wish I could ask ex-dh for you, but we are not on speaking terms . However, if he is saying to wait until the permanent teeth come in and then do something that is a fairly "old school" way of thinking. There is so much now that you can do with young children who still have primary teeth.

lowcalCOD Tue 18-Jan-05 21:14:05

opos sorry! thanks anyway

jabberwocky Tue 18-Jan-05 21:17:27

Not to worry COD!

Just reread your post though and it sounds suspiciously like your dentist is planning to wait until the permanent teeth come in. I would try to get a referral if you can just for a second opinion. It can be so much easier to fix some of these problems when the child is younger.

lowcalCOD Tue 18-Jan-05 21:17:48

yes will wait till dh starts new jpb with free bupa!

jabberwocky Tue 18-Jan-05 21:26:12

smellymelly Wed 19-Jan-05 18:14:28

Evesmama - ??

Did I not explain it right?

Her bottom teeth are infront of her top teeth.

Cod - where is my answer? I don't understand your posting on 17th at 1.36pm... Is it that they could rectify themselves when adult teeth come through?

I'm in twin baby mode so a bit thick at the moment!!

lowcalCOD Wed 19-Jan-05 18:15:33

lol
yes I think they need to waut ad look at the adult one, but thats only what my very normal nhs dentist said

may ask her in a bit more detail next time

smellymelly Wed 19-Jan-05 18:17:13

Thankyou.

jabberwocky Thu 20-Jan-05 02:38:55

Ran into someone who works for a children's dentist today and ran the current conversation by her. She said they do intervention type orthodontics on children as young as 7 for sure and said definitely do not just wait for the permanent teeth to come in and hope a less than optimum situation just corrects itself. This typically only results in more elaborate orthodontia techniques being used in the long run.

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 08:01:07

ooh thanks for that! will a sk dentist nest time

smellymelly Mon 31-Jan-05 15:56:41

Saw my dentist the other day, and he said we just have to wait and see, and said they would not intervene till about the age of 12.

Also said about 4% of the population have an undershot jaw.

I had to have braces when I was younger, so I hope her teethe sort themselves out as I can still remember how bloody painful it was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now