Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how often do you take your childen to the dentist?

(27 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 08:32:15

i took dd to the dentist when she was 6 mths, she had 4 teeth by then and i wanted her registered. but i havent taken her since. i know i probably should have done.

flatmouse Thu 13-Jan-05 08:36:29

we visited dentist yesterday - DS is now 4.5, DD 1.5 and we all go every 6 months. Dentist didn't really look much at DS or DD teeth, but i think it is important to get them used to the idea and see there is no "scare" factor involved.
Plus they get stickers

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 08:38:59

how do you get them to sit in the chair and let the dentist have a look?

i agree its important to get them used to it, im worried now dd will cry and have a tantrum! should have taken her more regularly, i know

lowcalCOD Thu 13-Jan-05 08:39:49

every 6 mths
I tell them and htats it really! erm,.. treid the tunderbirds chari routine too

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 08:40:25

lol! whats that then?

Bozza Thu 13-Jan-05 08:45:22

Every 6 months when I go. Should be able to fit one more visit in before my maternity exemption runs out. Even if you do take them regularly, six months in a child's life is a long time so might not make that much difference until age 3 or 4. When DS was little he used to sit on my knee in the chair and get his teeth counted but am now trying to encourage him to go in chair on his own.

Main problem I have is that DS is that busy playing with toys in waiting room that I have to drag him away to examination room so he's sulky by that point. The toys aren't that special BTW, just different I suppose.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 08:47:23

how do you get your own teeth examined when you have children with you? do they sit on your knee while you lie back?

stupid question i know

its just that i have to take dd's with me to the dentist when i have my own check up

flatmouse Thu 13-Jan-05 08:48:14

Well yesterday DS got to help the dentist clean Daddy's teeth! DS was allowed to press the foot pedal to make the waterjet work! He loved it! Was slightly disappointed his own teeth didn't need cleaning

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 08:50:09

sounds like you have a good dentist. mine is very tall, and has a very loud voice. im a bit afraid dd will be frightened! he can be overbearing at times, but nice

flatmouse Thu 13-Jan-05 08:52:39

Yep, our dentist changed about 18 months ago. Old one was lovely, new one is lovely. He spends a lot of time talking to the children rather than at them (IYSWIM).

Bozza Thu 13-Jan-05 08:57:34

Nailpolish how old is your DD? When DS was a baby he just stayed in his car seat while I was examined. After that when he was a young toddler he sat on my knee while I was laid back. Not all that pleasant while you are having a scale and polish but I managed OK. But from about 2 he was just there in the room. We always have checkups together but when I had a filling I left DS with a neighbour.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:01:56

dd is 2 yrs 3 mths. i am hoping she will sit and play in the room while i have my check up, but i have a feeling she will want to sit on my knee. hope the dentist doesnt mind. surely he has come across this before! the dental nurse is quite nice, maybe she will help out.

i will also have dd2 (3 mths) so hopefully she will sleep in her carseat and not cry. i could ask dd1 to watch dd2 (as a distraction). maybe im just worrying about nothing (as usual)

if i have my teeth checked first and dd sees its ok maybe she will not mind

Bozza Thu 13-Jan-05 09:07:48

Sounds sensible nailpolish. When DS was that age I think he was happy to play with some blocks that the dentist provided. Last time I went when DD was four months and asleep in her car seat DS went and woke her while I was being examined. Grrr.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:10:21

thats probably what will happen. i would hate to lie there while they were crying. wouldnt be able to concentrate

dd2 is one of those babies who sleeps while the car/pushchair is moving but wakes up immediately when it stops

its the same at the hairdressers

pixiefish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:12:59

I took dd to the dentist for my checkup when she was about 7 months old. Had to make another appointment to have a clean and dh was supposed to have her for me while I went. Dh forgot and i had to take her with me. took a toy for her and sat her in the sorner of the surgery. Dentist was busily cleaning my teeth when she dropped the toy!!!!!

I very nearly ended up with the implement up my nose or somewhere. makes me laugh when I think about it now

lou33 Thu 13-Jan-05 09:21:04

every six months, but the 6monthly check up is being abolished soon for yearly ones the dentist told me.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:27:50

i heard that too.

one of the reasons i am taking dd (as well as an appt for myself) is that dh was there last mth and the dentists receptionist said that if you dont go within 2 yrs of your last appt you will be taken off their register. can they do this?

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:28:33

i heard that too lou.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:28:46

repeating myself now

lou33 Thu 13-Jan-05 09:30:44

blimey an echo.

yes i think they can. Just reregister maybe?

jampots Thu 13-Jan-05 09:32:21

Mine visit every 6 months - they actually enjoy going. our dentist is brill and shows them what he's doing on a little tv screen which is linked to a tiny camera which he puts in their mouth. I nominated him for the Fisher Price Child Friendly Dentist and he won our regional prize

Bozza Thu 13-Jan-05 09:32:23

Nailoplish my DD is like that with the waking up too which is why I thought I was doing really well. Don't know if she cried or just stared up at the dentist light.

Potty1 Thu 13-Jan-05 09:33:08

They do take you off if you don't go regularly.

We go ever 6 months but have heard that they will be changing that to 12 monthly - i wonder if that will apply to children though?

Nail polish - perhaps she will sit on the bottom of the chair by your feet ( as long as they don't pump it up too high!)

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:33:48

jampots - that does sound fab

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:35:43

i think the 6/12 mth thing is because there is so much demand for the dentists just now - it will enable them to register more people. i think its just a guideline tho, if you want to take them every 6 mths i dont see how they can stop you, esp with children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now