Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure

(25 Posts)
ks Wed 12-Jan-05 11:49:43

Message withdrawn

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 11:58:41

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 12-Jan-05 11:59:06

BP this high usually needs medication initially but really responds well to a healthy diet and weight loss aswell.Often the tablets can be stopped once the self help measures are firmly established.It also depends what is causing the high bp Do you know?

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 12:03:55

Message withdrawn

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 12:06:50

One of my friends had hypertension found when she was at the gym. BP 170/122. Major panic to get het to doctor. She was investigated and started medication which has brought it down to normal. Don't know what treatment she is on though.

noddyholder Wed 12-Jan-05 12:08:24

yes I had it v badly and it was because my kidney's weren't working properly It is v succesfully controlled with low dose tablets and I have been on and off these several times Ironically when i was pregnant my bp was fine Don't ignore it though

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 12:15:50

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 12-Jan-05 12:20:52

you are right about the stress it does make it worse Start slowly with walking and build the time up Walking is the only exercise I do and it really keeps me well.Losing weight and getting plenty of sleep also work for me Some of the new medications are much less likely to cause side effects

Lolski Wed 12-Jan-05 12:25:09

My mum has very high blood pressure and is on medication for it but I know that she is very strict about the salt in her diet. She even checks the salt content in bottled water.

CountessDracula Wed 12-Jan-05 12:30:31

Have you tried benecol etc?

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 12:35:13

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Wed 12-Jan-05 13:27:30

transcendental meditation?

noddyholder Wed 12-Jan-05 13:29:20

sometimes there is no cause ever found and medication really helps.The awful feeling that you get from high bp probably adds to his stress so bringing it down may make a lot of his other problems seem better too

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 13:32:34

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 12-Jan-05 13:34:52

Some people get no symptoms but I was tired and had a vague headachey feeling all the time

winnie1 Wed 12-Jan-05 14:19:55

Ks, I have successfully treated high blood pressure on two occassions. The first time I lost some weight, increased my exercise levels a great deal,& cut down my fat and salt content.
The second time, whilst pregnant, I was put on medication, started having weekly reflexology sessions, bp decreased considerably, dr took me off the medication and whilst I continued to have the reflexology the bp remained normal. However, after babies birth stopped being able to justify expense of reflexology and bp rose again.

HTH, best wishes to dh & please don't worry it can be sorted out. If he is on medication he may have to take a couple of different types before the one that works for himn is found.

MummytoSteven Wed 12-Jan-05 15:13:26

my mum has hypertension which has been helped by weight loss and various different medications over the years (and avoiding adding salt to things!). with high blood pressure it is better to avoid decongestants like sudafed (as they can put your blood pressure up slightly). the only symptom my mum had was having "floaters" in front of her eyes before her blood pressure was diagnosed. they couldn't find any particular cause for her high blood pressure.

when I was on the pill a few years back, my BP went up to 160/105 - so I went off the pill and my BP quickly went back to normal.

biglips Wed 12-Jan-05 15:30:19

mummytosteven - same to me as i had to come off the pill as mine was 140/95 - i had no signs at all and i still feel the same today but BP back to normal.. now if im very stressed out, my BP goes up, when i was pregnant my BP went down!! (as i was really relaxed and laid back when i was preg and i worked till i was 38 weeks at a call centre).

MummytoSteven Wed 12-Jan-05 15:33:18

Biglips my BP went quite low during PG as well oddly enough (tho not relaxed at all during PG) despite all the dire warnings I had been given to watch out for pre-eclampsia (family history, BP up on pill). v. odd, isn't it, as you imagine the hormones are v similar?

Twink Wed 12-Jan-05 16:04:14

ks my dh is the same. He's bought a home BP machine & now monitors his 3 times a day.

The GP did a lifestyle check and the only thing dh needed to do was stick to 21 units a week as he's not overweight, has very little salt, doesn't smoke & exercises for 40 mins 5 times a week.

Dh chose to stop drinking completely & now, after 4 months without, he's lost weight and his BP is approaching normal levels (as of this week), even at the end of the day when it used to be skyhigh (it's always been ok first thing in the morning)

He still does the same job & stress levels there haven't changed but it does seem like he might be able to avoid drugs for the moment.

Hope your dh manages to find a solution. It is a worry though, especially coming on top of everything else you've had to cope with.

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 17:50:09

Message withdrawn

SofiaAmes Wed 12-Jan-05 22:20:41

Ks, a compound (natural even) that my father has developed has just (not out to the press yet) been shown in human clinical trials to lower high blood pressure. I don't really want to do advertising for my father here, so I am going to send you an email with the info.

ks Wed 12-Jan-05 22:35:11

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Thu 13-Jan-05 10:51:58

sofia could you send it to me too please?

SofiaAmes Thu 13-Jan-05 14:13:47

It's called Juvenon and the website for buying them is here . If you follow the links for buying it, there is a company selling it in the uk. Actually my father has put all his (potential) profits from the company into a charitable scientific foundation and gets no personal gain from it, so I guess it's ok to mention it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now