Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mouth ulcers lots of the time - what's going wrong

(22 Posts)
batters Tue 11-Jan-05 09:31:48

My little girl who is six and a half is getting lots of mouth ulcers. Only one at a time (I think) and in different areas, but she seems to get rid of one and a few days later another one appears. This has been going on for a few months. They really do seem quite sore as well, last night she woke up because her mouth ulcer was hurting so much.

She doesn't eat many sweets or chocolate. She loves tomato ketchup, but I have stopped offering that to her as it is very sugary. She brushes her teeth twice a day. What is going on? I used to get mouth ulcers when I was younger, but I always thought they were stress related.

Also, has anyone got any idea of the best stuff to use on mouth ulcers for children? We have been trying to use Bonjela but dd doesn't like it as it stings on the initial application.

Thanks for your help.

Frizbe Tue 11-Jan-05 09:34:17

umm saw some new stuff advertised in the mway service station the other day, but can't remember what its called, you apparently swill it and it coats your ulcers for the day...one for the pharmacist thinks me...

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 11-Jan-05 09:37:03

Batter, my ds is getting a lot of ulcers too, I wanted to know what caused them and googled it yesterday but it didn't tell me anything but I was wondering if it was a vitamin deficiency of some kind. Sorry to hijack but we have the same problem and I don't know what to do either. So I hope someone can help us here.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 11-Jan-05 09:37:24

BatterS, sorry!

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 09:37:49

I don't know for sure but I'm sure (in the back of my mind) I read that mouth ulcers can be a sign that the immune system is generally run down

Can you try to boost her immune system over all ... probiotics / lots of fresh fruit and veg plenty of water?

just a thought (there may be other ways to boost immune system ..think I saw a children's echinacea in the chemist .. I'd check with the people who know this stuff)

HTH

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 09:39:29

is this any help .. found it on google its all about mouth ulcers

pupuce Tue 11-Jan-05 09:41:23

Twigglett is right.... DS had this too and we asked the dentist who said so....
It is the season to have such things.... it's not anything to do with sugar but I found that tomatoes hurt their tongue so cutting out the ketchup is a good idea from that stand point.
Good luck batters - not talked to you in a long time!

Mo2 Tue 11-Jan-05 09:44:11

batters - I suffered from really bad mouth ulcers (17 at once - ouch!)when under severe stress last year and the GP prescribed this which really is the best thing I've ever used.
It's a bit strange 'cos it forms a sort of jelly covering to the ulcer on contact, but it really does stop it hurting. It can also be used for children for a short period of time.

You may want to try a different toothpaste for your DD - I've heard that an ingredient (sodium lauryl sulphate?) can exacerbate mouth ulcers for some people.
HTH
Mo2

Pidge Tue 11-Jan-05 09:51:33

I get these when run down - but last year I had a phase of several months when I had them all the time, one after another in different places. Then dp got them and after several trips to the GP it turned out we (and dd) had hand, foot and mouth. There's nothing you can do for it, but I did get prescribed some revolting glue-like paste for the mouth ulcers which did seem to clear them up after months of trying stuff like Bonjela to no effect. So might be worth a trip to the GP - or even a question to your pharmacist.

Mo2 Tue 11-Jan-05 10:22:21

Pidge - sounds like the same stuff. I didn't think it was that revolting! Anything's better than the mouth ulcers!
You're right about hand foot & mouth - I think that's how ours started in the first place...

Pidge Tue 11-Jan-05 10:24:06

Yuk Mo2!! I thought it was like having a great big glob of gritty wallpaper paste sat on your tongue. I can't imagine a kid taking kindly to it. But it did work - so yes, definitely better than mouth ulcers in the long run. And I only had to apply it for a week or two.

batters Tue 11-Jan-05 10:39:31

www, the more the merrier !

Thanks for all these suggestions. Twiglett, if you can post the info it would be really helpful.

Pupuce - how are you, you are right, it has been a long time! It is interesting that is hasn't got anything to do with sugar, I kind of assumed it would have.

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 10:40:46

post what info batters??

batters Tue 11-Jan-05 10:45:26

oh bugger, read it wrong sorry. Ignore me I'll get my coat!

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 10:46:59

MrsWobble Tue 11-Jan-05 11:26:01

I get loads of mouth ulcers - usually when I'm stressed or under the weather. I was told (by a doctor) that they can be worse as a result of a vitamin B deficiency and I've significantly reduced the number and severity by taking vitamin supplements. I don't know if this would help others.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 11-Jan-05 11:28:05

I had in the back of my mind that vit B might be somethng to do with it as ds is veggie. Will have a look for B vit rich food Batters and will post a list, got to be worth a try. That link seems to say there isn't a particular cause doesn't it?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 11-Jan-05 11:29:58

Here's a quick list:

Which foods are rich in vitamin B?

whole grains, such as wheat and oats
fish and seafood
poultry and meats
eggs
dairy products, like milk and yogurt
leafy green vegetables
beans and peas
citrus fruits, such as oranges

From this site . My ds eats tons of eggs, beans and yoghurt though so I really wouldn't have thought it's that in his case. He eats tons of ketchup though, maybe we'll cut that out a bit.

batters Tue 11-Jan-05 12:32:10

thanks for that www. Hmm, not sure about the vitamin B in dd's case either. It seems to be one of the (few) vitamins I think she is getting enough of. She does also have a Boots' vitamin supplement - must check whether it included vitamin B. We eat a lot of chicken and she loves oranges. Mind you, she doesn't have as much calcium as she should probably have. Hmm, will try and sell it to her that way!

Sponge Tue 11-Jan-05 12:38:22

You can buy Adcortyl from the chemist btw. Doesn't need a prescription.
It is a bit odd but works better than anything else and doesn't sting.

Uwila Tue 11-Jan-05 13:42:24

I get mouth ulcers a lot. My dad got them as a kid, and outgrew them. I seem to have inherited them, apart from the bit about outgrowing them. If ever I cut my mouth it turns into a painful mouth ulcer that takes about 2 weeks to heal. I've asked dentists, doctors, and pharmacists about what causes them. Opinions vary. Some say allergies. Some say lack of protein (which is not the case because I eat lots of meat and dairy). I've never heard that it was down to a weak immune system. But, to be honest, I'd be willing to test any theory that might have a shred of truth to it.

One thing that will give immediate but very short term relief is raising the PH in your mouth by brushing your teeth or eating a hard candy. Also, it could be a food allergy. But you'd just have to take note of what you/she eats when one comes on. This can be a rather tedious process. I have never been able to associate them with a food allergy.

It never occurred to me to take echinacea. I may try that after pregnancy (in June).

suedonim Tue 11-Jan-05 15:45:45

I'd second the idea of Adcortyl in Orabase, it's the only thing I've used which truly works. I was knocked over a while back and had a cut in my mouth which turned into a massive ulcer. The dr gave me Adcortyl and within 24hrs I could feel it was healing. It still hurt but wasn't stinging, iykiwm. Bonjela is a local anaethetic which soon wears off, whereas Adcortyl actually helps the healing process. I've also got a new product, Aloclair mouthwash, in my medicine cabinet but can't vouch for its usefulness as I've not had occasion to use it thus far. It claims to put a protective covering over the ulcer.

Twiglett, that link was interesting, esp the bit about the white coating on the ulcer. I always thought it was composed of dead cells but it's actually bacteria - yuk!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now