Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have gone & put back ds's tonsil op. Am I wrong?

(20 Posts)
blueteddy Mon 10-Jan-05 18:50:11

Hmmm, strange?!
Here goes round 2!
My ds was ment to be going to have his tonsils & adenoids removed along with his ears being drained next Tuesday.
I am still going along for his pre-op check tomorrow, but have put his op back another month, as because he has had no tonsilitus since August, I don't feel that I am ready to put him (and me!) through the op.
It was me who pushed for this to be done & now I can't bear the thought of putting him through it all!
Is it really as bad as I am imagining & have I gone & done a very silly thing?!

nutcracker Mon 10-Jan-05 18:56:03

Er, tbh i think i would have kept the appointment for the op, sorry.

blueteddy Mon 10-Jan-05 18:56:39

He would normally suffer with around 3/4 doses of tonsilitus a year & can get very poorly with it.
This is the longest that he has gone between attacks & I am kidding myself that he may have outgrown it. (He is 5)

nutcracker Mon 10-Jan-05 18:59:31

Ooooo don't know sorry, i spose it is possible he has outgrown it, but i think you will kick yourself now if he gets it again.

I had it when i was a child and would have loved to have had my tonsils out as tonsillitus was soooooo painful, unfortunatly gp didn't agree.

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 08:52:59

I know that it should be done asap really, but I just had this panic about him going through the op so soon, especially as he has been so well with his tonsils for a while now.
The gp didn't want to refer him, as they are reluctant to remove tonsils these days & I had to push for it.
When he has an attack he gets very poorly & I know I should get it all out of the way really.
I am going to see the specialist later this morning & I will see what he says.
At the end of the day, even if he has had a good spell with his tonsils, he still has the adenoid & hearing problem which need seeing to.

romantick Tue 11-Jan-05 08:58:52

im 37 and was advised when i was young to have my tonsils out.had all the usual things.
time off school was great.but it was never that bad.
in the end went to have them out at hospital at age 13.then decided i had my own rights and was stubborn at hospital.and did not have them removed .so still got my tonsils and happy about it.
still get swollen sometimes but does notget in way to much.(actually that sounds x rated )
anyway im glad to still have my tonsils especially now they say it really does not make much difference

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 09:06:20

The thing is that ds does get very poorly with his tonsils, it is just that he has had a good spell recently.
I read bonkerz post the other day about how poorly her little boy was after the op & I thought then that I was not ready to put him through that.

LIZS Tue 11-Jan-05 09:15:33

I don't know... perhaps see what the specialist advises. However if he is still having hearing and adenoid problems think I'd still be inclined to do it whether now or in a month's time. Presumably if he is 5 the hearing especially would be a problem at school and I tend to think the sooner you can have these things resolved the better. Not sure if it is n't better to have these things done whilst there is no infection present as if he has a flare up at the time there may be more risk of the infection hindering his recovery.

I had my adenoids removed at that age, as they were enlarged and I had hearing problems, but not tonsils and went on to suffer horribly with tonsillitis in my late teens and still get a couple of bouts a year, so wish now they done them altogether.

bonkerz Tue 11-Jan-05 09:16:08

NOOOOOO please dont say i put you off the operation! My ds was very poorly after the op and to be honest is still not right and haveing trouble eating and drinking BUT i would make him have the op again even knowing what i know now! He has stopped snoring and his breathing is alot better and ive also noticed he can hear me when i whisper which was unheard of before!!!!! Im sure this is because he isnt blocked anymore by his adenoids and tonsils! Its one week of discomfort and that is it! How many weeks is your ds going to suffer with tonsilitis?? In the grand scheme of things its better that my ds had the op.
Please dont be put off by my ds and his situation, all children are different. Just be prepared and please go ahead with it when your new appointment comes round! yes it is horrid to see your little boy in pain and discomfort but its worth it in the long run!

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 09:22:14

Yes the hearing does cause him problems.
His teacher told me recently that they have to tell him things several times & he looses concentration during carpet times, as he obviously cannot hear properly.
He apparantly has fluid in both ears.

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 09:47:12

Personally I wouldn't delay .. well a month won't matter but make sure you do it then (IMHO)

They won't operate when he's ill .. its far better that he's well so his recovery will be quicker

This is a long-term cure for a long-term problem isn't it .. and whilst as a mum you don't want him to go through the operation, in a couple of weeks it will all be over and done with .. but if you don't you have a lifetime of him feeling that ill .. weigh them up .. only you can know which is worse

HTH

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 09:59:44

I know.
I will not put it back again next month & I know it is for the best in the long run!

Gem13 Tue 11-Jan-05 10:06:44

I had tonsilitus pretty much every winter month for most of my early childhood. My mum fought to get them taken out and after 3 consultations (including one where the consultant said 'this child has never had tonsilitus'!?!?!!) she finally got her way when I ws 9.

It was painful (although childbirth has superceded that pain!) but it was fantastic not to be ill again.

Do stick with the appointment. He will be ill again (I hadn't grown out of it by 9) and then you will kick yourself.

Slinky Tue 11-Jan-05 10:06:50

Oh Blueteddy

Having had a child gone through the op. and DD2 due to have hers done imminently - I wouldn't have put off the op IMO.

I am desperate for DD2 to have hers now - she really is suffering, and just seems so low due to lack of decent sleep, can't hear properly etc. I know Bonkerz DS had a few problems after recovery (glad he's recovering now Bonkerz )my DD1 on the other hand was up and about, eating, drinking and wanting to ride her bike 2 days later!!

I know he's your son, and I know EXACTLY how you're feeling because I was there with DD1 - but the outcome afterwards was worth it. Her quality of life improved dramatically.

Just a note: I was helping out in DD2s class yesterday, and was watching DD2 with some friends. One of them was calling her, and whilst we all heard it, DD2 was oblivious in her own little world That point confirmed to me then that I MUST get her sorted as it's only going to get worse as she goes through school.

HTH

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 14:58:14

Thankyou for your comments.
I have just got back from the hospital (very drawn out process!) & seen the specialist.
Ds had another hearing check & to my amazement, it seems his hearing has improved!
This may be because he has gone 5 months since his last attack of tonsillitus.
I asked about the recovery process & was told that ofter in children it is very quick & that some of them are even eating later on the same day!
While I was sitting there with him, it occured to me how bad his breath seems to be & I think this is associated with the tonsil problem.
Anyway, I have signed all the forms to give my consent & promise I will not back date it again!
I feel a little better now, but know I will be a wreck on the day!

Gem13 Tue 11-Jan-05 15:08:43

Well done! DH had his tonsils out because of bad breath. The consultant reckoned his tonsils had never recovered from one or more bad attacks when he was younger. He wasn't up and ready to ride his bike the next day but then he was 31 and said it hurt like hell.

I do sypmathise with the nerves about it all. Wouldn't like to be in the same situation but your DS will be fine.

Potty1 Tue 11-Jan-05 15:58:59

I put off my dd's op blueteddy. There were really strong reasons for doing so - she has congenital heart disease, so needed to be 'well', they were concerned about her coping with the anaesthetic etc. In the end she grew out of her tonsilitis, her hearing improved slowly although she does still get ear infections.

That said my ds1&ds2 both had it done, one was 'good' the other was more like bonkerz ds and was a bit bloody. It's so hard to put them through it if you have doubts about the necessity isn't it? If your ds had been poorly through the winter you would have no doubts at all about it.

Hope it goes well. Keep us posted.

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 16:20:22

You are right potty, if ds had been poorly recently then I would have no doubts about getting it done.
I remember, back in July when they put him on the waiting list, thinking "Oh no, my poor ds."
2 weeks later he was laid out with a horrible dose of tonsillitas & he was so poorly that I thought "Whatever the after effects of the op cannot be worse than this."
That was his last attack of tonsillitas & he has since been amazingly well with them!
I know it sounds bad, but I almost need him to have another case of tonsillitas to convince me that it is really worth putting him through the op.

romantick Tue 11-Jan-05 18:24:08

just like to say.very spooky.
went to drs today as not well.
dr said tonsils have enlarged aghhhhhhhhhhh
last time i write advice on here

blueteddy Tue 11-Jan-05 18:26:12

Oh dear, you spoke 2 soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now