Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Stopping smoking - NiQuitin CQ Stage 2 Patches

(5 Posts)
fee77 Fri 07-Jan-05 15:14:16

I am on my 5th patch but am really thinking of stopping and going cold turkey. So far they seem to be helping - i am not craving a ciggy, and only thin about it through habit. BUT when i put the patch on it really really itches, and them my arm feels really reall really achy for a couple of hours. The worst thing is the dreams. I have not had a proper nights sleep since i started as my dreams are so vivid and surreal. I wake up 5 or 6 times a night and for me that is unheard of. Then in the morning i feel like crap. I usually change my patch around lunchtime, but do you think i could start taking it off at night and putting a fresh one on in the morning? I never used to smoke till lunch time anyway. Please help - i feel positive, but knackered!

MrsBigD Fri 07-Jan-05 15:20:35

hi fee77 - well done on wanting to quit. I gave up 5 years ago and my lungs are ever so grateful.

As for the patches... I couldn't use them as I have very low blood pressure and kept fainting. In your case maybe the dosage is too high? Is there a weaker patch? If not... I used the chewing gum to stop. It's so revolting that if you chew it each time you fancy a ciggi you soon won't

Good luck! You can do it!

fee77 Mon 10-Jan-05 12:59:37

Obviously patches are not very popular!! But for any one who is interested, i am a non-smoker, but now i take the patch off before bed time. Amazingly the freaky dreams have stopped! And it is all going very well indeed. I smell nice, i feel healthier and the guilt has gone.
Thanks for the kind words Mrsbigd.
Do you still fancy a fag after five years? When i have given up in the past i have always fancied the odd one, and then that leads me back to square one.

charliecat Mon 10-Jan-05 16:23:43

Hi fee77...if you are after a chat with some nonsmokers or serial quitters (!) theres a thread Here
Well done BTW...if I had saw this thread i would have said I had the freaky dreams while on patches and another of the nonsmoking girls Fionagib had a bad panic attack whilst driving
See you on the thread if your interested in a chat!

MrsBigD Mon 10-Jan-05 16:30:52

fee77

I still have the occasional social ciggy when out with a friend who smokes. But as I then usually feel extremely ill the next day (and no I never learn! there's no way that I'll start 'properly' again.

Saying that... a couple of weeks a go I was totally stressed out and was thinking to myself... hmmm a ciggy would be nice right now. Just to think the next second... what the h*ll am I thinking!?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: