Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hydrocele

(10 Posts)
beansprout Thu 06-Jan-05 22:10:48

Ds has this. Dr said it is likely to go away of its own accord but was a bit coy about what they would need to do if it didn't.

Has anyone else had a ds with this? Did it just resolve itself? The factsheet the dr gave me said it is mainly old men who have it!!

TIA

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 22:12:03

Dunno, but ds2 has one of these too and it looks so horribly swollen Doesn't seem to bother him, but then I'm just a professional worrier.

Will be reading this thread carefully!

Heathcliffscathy Thu 06-Jan-05 22:14:10

ds had this. resolved definitely by 4/5 months (oh how quickly i forget, we were dead worried) was horribly swollen (but the swelling went up and down)

apparently one in five boys has it, it is nothing to worry about, and if it hasn't resolved by the age of 2 (i think) they operate (little operation to seal the tube up. \

really really nothing to worry about, and the likelihood is it will go away soon by itself.

beansprout Thu 06-Jan-05 22:15:27

I just thought it was the swelling they are born with... doh!
Have stopped beating myself up for not noticing though, after all that is what drs are for.

Fact sheet says the main problem can be that it interferes with a) walking and b) sex life. So, no issues there!

DS is 10 weeks - how old is your ds GeorginaA?

beansprout Thu 06-Jan-05 22:16:39

Thanks Sophable - just what I wanted to hear. Didn't know it was so common. Got a bit freaked when the dr needed to call her colleague in to come and have a look. Thanks for the reassurance, didn't know it was so common!

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 22:19:13

8 months and still looks MASSIVE (is just on one side). We're due to go back at 1 year if it hasn't resolved just as a check. We had a paed's appointment at the hospital and are due to go back at 1 year if it hasn't resolved (but the paed said tbh they'll just give it a quick check over and then ask to see us again in another 6 months).

I keep telling myself that if it was serious they wouldn't leave it for 6 months

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 22:20:08

Yes, nice to know that it is that common, thanks sophable

Heathcliffscathy Thu 06-Jan-05 22:20:28

good. we freaked out when our midwife said we should have it checked out. i think the reason they're careful when checking is that there is a totally unrelated condition (a torsion) which is a bit more serious and needs operating on sooner than later...did they shine a torch through his little bollock (sorry about the terminology )...that is what they were checking for. hydroceles are not dangerous as if they don't resolve themselves (and the vast majority do) they are totally operable. so glad to be able to reassure about something

Loobie Fri 07-Jan-05 14:13:35

Hydroceles come about from when little boys are in the womb.There is tubes in the lower abdomen where the testicles descend into the scrotum,the tubes should wither away after the testes descend but sometimes they dont which allows fluid to run down them collecting in the scrotum, resulting in a hydrocele.
Can you tell ds had one LOL.Sometimes they can be mistaken for inguinal hernias.If they dont go away by them selves the operation is simple and only takes a few minutes,they seal off the tube and drain away the fluid and it never reoccurs.Ds had the op as his didnt go and they werent totally sure it wasnt a hernia.HTH

PrettyCandles Fri 07-Jan-05 14:22:16

A friend of mine has this. It doesn't affect him at all (no, I have no idea what it looks like in an adult, we're good enough friends for him to have mentioned it in relation to our children, but not good enough friends for him to show me - or for me to want to see 'it') but it is supposed to reduce fertility because the affected testicle is slightly warmer due to the extra blood around it. Didn't seem to affect my friend's fertility though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now