Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CELLULITIS - ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING A BOUT IT?

(55 Posts)
MadameButterfly Wed 05-Jan-05 20:18:32

On Monday my dad complained of being cols, so we sent him to bed. He stayed there all yesterday and today with mum looking after him. Tonight he complained that his left leg was sore, when mum looked at it, it was swollen, red and inflamed. As the surgery was closed she called the out of hours number, after getting all the details they said that she should take him round to the hospital tonight.

They have just got home. He has been told it is cellulitis given a prescription for the problem, but they also told him that if he had not gone in tonight we would have ended up in hospital on a drip.

It is really scary to think that my dad was that seriously ill and we did not notice.

Can anyone tell me anymore about this disease?

edam Wed 05-Jan-05 20:21:38

It's an immune-system over-reaction, IIRC. I got it from an insect bite – my ankle swelled up and was hot and itchy. Antibiotics should sort it out. I think it's when the cell walls break down so you end up with lots of fluid sloshing around, that's why it's inflamed. But treatable. Does recur in some people with compromised immune systems, such as the elderly, but hopefully not.

happynewessbee Wed 05-Jan-05 20:24:49

Message withdrawn

kangamummy Wed 05-Jan-05 20:26:05

My dad has it too

it is getting better now

needed hospital treatment several times and strong antibiotics for ages.

I did a thread on it about 4 months ago will try to find it.

MadameButterfly Wed 05-Jan-05 20:26:53

Thank you for posting ladies.

I think I just needed someone to put my mind at rest and you both have done that.

Thank you.

WigWamBam Wed 05-Jan-05 20:35:43

Some info here . Sympathies to your dad, I had cellulitis once caused by an insect bite, and it's very, very painful.

happymerryberries Wed 05-Jan-05 20:38:11

I also got it from an insect bite and felt very unwell, it responeded to antibiotics, and have never had any further probelms

kangamummy Wed 05-Jan-05 20:38:46

other thread

get your dad to keep his leg up and maybe put an extra sheet under it tonight as my dads wept alot.

It is still swollen but is alot smaller now has it in tight bandages by the district nurse and now the hole is getting smaller.

Has your dad got high temp?

hope it goes away and they have caught it in time

sending him and you family cyberhugs {{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}

MadameButterfly Wed 05-Jan-05 20:51:25

Thank you for that bit of advice Kanga.

I have just told my dad and he has told me to pass on his thanks also.

kangamummy Wed 05-Jan-05 20:56:44

MB thats ok

I hope you have caught it in time

good luck

please let us know how your dad is over next few days

really hope you have got it quick enough

edam Wed 05-Jan-05 21:29:19

Glad you are feeling a bit less fraught, MB. And hope your dad does well.

kangamummy Fri 07-Jan-05 13:36:59

how is your dad?

MadameButterfly Fri 07-Jan-05 13:41:34

Thanks for asking Kanga, his leg is still pretty bad. Just been to the docs and had the dosage of the medication doubled

kangamummy Fri 07-Jan-05 13:51:28

so he is on strong antibiotics yes?

Has he still got a fever?

hope it will work.

btw on the thread below I was katie37.

MadameButterfly Fri 07-Jan-05 13:52:54

Hi there, no longer has a fever, but complains of feeling neausous (sp)

kangamummy Fri 07-Jan-05 14:10:57

I think my dad did too not too sure remember didn't want to eat.

he went delirious and couldn't stand up

really hope tomorrow will mean the stronger drugs get working quickley

suedonim Fri 07-Jan-05 16:06:30

My mil has had cellulitis twice in the last year or so. It took an age to clear up even with strong a/b's, not nice at all. But she is elderly, almost 85 - I imagine your dad is younger and healthier than my mil so I hope his recovery is faster.

MadameButterfly Mon 10-Jan-05 10:47:23

I have now come home.

Called mum earlier. Dad had an appointment at docs today, but she has een to the surgery and asked fot the nurse to come aout at his foot has now swollen up and it is difficult for him to walk. He thinks the penicillin is not working.

MadameButterfly Mon 10-Jan-05 10:47:24

I have now come home.

Called mum earlier. Dad had an appointment at docs today, but she has een to the surgery and asked fot the nurse to come aout at his foot has now swollen up and it is difficult for him to walk. He thinks the penicillin is not working.

nailpolish Mon 10-Jan-05 10:53:00

hi MB

does your dad have a history of a heart complaint at all?

cellulitis is horrible but treatable - hope he makes a recovery

RTKangaMummy Mon 10-Jan-05 10:57:11

MB sorry to hear that

My dad was on very very strong anti biotics

but cant remeber what they were

Is it weeping?

Good idea getting nurse to come out

My dad had them come twice every day for a long time to bandage and put cream stuff on.

get them to change antibiotics for really strong dose or stronger penicillin.

I guess the worse case senario is that he needs IV antibiotics.

really hope the surgery will be able to help him

Sending you all cyberhugs {{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}

please let me know how he is doing.

suedonim Mon 10-Jan-05 11:07:56

I hope your dad gets some joy today, MB. My mil had to have a change of a/b's before she statrted getting better.

I'm amazed some of you have a nurse come out to the house - whereabouts do you live? My mil in Kent was told a nurse will only come visit if the patient is bedridden, otherwise you have to go to the Leg Clinic - of which there is one to serve the whole of East Kent and it's not even very accessible.

RTKangaMummy Mon 10-Jan-05 11:15:20

My mum and dad live in East sussex

There was a team of district nurses that looked after him.

but he did need dressing changed twice a day when he came out of hospital

now several months later they come every 5 days.

They were really brill

suedonim Mon 10-Jan-05 13:00:22

I'd better get mil to move over the border into E Sussex, KangaM - the service sounds much better! Even having had a stroke, they still wouldn't come to her in Kent. It makes me wonder exactly who the nurses do visit, if mil didn't qualify...

Thank goodness, her legs seem to have cleared up now though her skin is now like tissue paper so I can see the situation arising again, unfortunately.

RTKangaMummy Mon 10-Jan-05 18:43:38

about MIL

That is really unfair

sending cyberhugs to her that it doesn't happen again but know what you mean about tissue paper skin

{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now