Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calpol in the milk [shock]

(24 Posts)
Flumberrysauce Wed 05-Jan-05 11:06:24

.... is that bad.

My baby won't take calpol and any effort to give her it results in a pink sticky mess on mum and babe. Last night she full of a cold and I felt very sorry for her, she kept disturbing. At aroud 4am she woke again crying so I made her some milk and had a brain wave to put a spoon of Calpol in the milk.

She only drank half of it, don't know if it made any good but she settled back to sleep and didn't wake again until 8.

She is 11 months.

Twiglett Wed 05-Jan-05 11:08:53

have you tried an injection type dispenser? you put it to the back of mouth when they cry and squeeze

don't think she'd have got much in milk tbh .. its quite a heavy suspension ... but anything's better than nothing .. well done on ingenuity

NameChangingMancMidlander Wed 05-Jan-05 11:08:54

As far as I know, you can mix calpol in with milk. So long as you are careful not to go above the recommended dosage, then I'm pretty sure it's fine.

tiredemma Wed 05-Jan-05 11:09:03

i always put calpol in milk ( when calpol is neseccary!!)
its much easier and not as messy- its not bad i think its a good idea.
my best friend is a paediatric nurse and she says that they often put medicene in a small amount of juice or milk at the hospital as some children dont like medicene!!!

mrsflowerpot Wed 05-Jan-05 11:09:21

can't see why, as long as it doesn't make her sick (calpol + milk = vomit for ds).

I have resorted to buying a stack of banana flavoured fromage frais to hide banana flavoured antibiotics in before now.

Flumberrysauce Wed 05-Jan-05 11:12:54

Ok then, thats cool. thought maybe it might end up in some freaky reaction.

She loves those teething powder things and opens her mouth ready for them can't understand why.

My mum calls them babies Arsenic.

syringe idea is good too, might try and locate one

NameChangingMancMidlander Wed 05-Jan-05 11:13:17

Different medicine, but on the Medised bottle is suggests mixing in with milk or juice if your baby/child doesn't like the taste. Medised, like Calpol, contains paracetamol, so it's fine

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 11:14:01

Dispensing chemist would have them. All our medicines for children under a certain age come with syringe and it is much easier than a spoon.

hunkermunker Wed 05-Jan-05 11:41:18

I got my syringe from Superdrug for 50p (it came with a bung thing you stick in the bottle to get the medicine out), DS HATES calpol and will only just tolerate medised.

coppertop Wed 05-Jan-05 11:44:06

We specifically asked our GP about mixing medicines with drinks and she said it was absolutely fine.

MrsBigD Wed 05-Jan-05 11:47:59

we have to mix neurofen into dd's milk (calpol makes her vomit) as otherwise dh has to literally sit on her whilst I try syringe it in...

kangasantamummy Wed 05-Jan-05 12:15:13

I know your question has been answered but thought

I would just say that we always have used syringes because if the child flings their arms about you deffo do not loose any medicine also it is easier to measure correct amounts

TracyK Wed 05-Jan-05 20:25:50

may try putting in milk tonight as I have several pink sticky marks on my carpet from last night!

monkey Thu 06-Jan-05 07:21:46

we always use paracetomol suppositories - much less distress than choking & gagging & screaming baby

happymerryberries Thu 06-Jan-05 07:36:13

Calpol can also be mixed into fromage frais, as long as you mix it and use it within about 30 minutes

Amanda3266 Thu 06-Jan-05 09:08:05

....and Medised contains a mile sedative in the form of the decongestant. {grin].
Fabulous stuff.

wild Thu 06-Jan-05 09:10:25

wish I'd thought of it

lunavix Thu 06-Jan-05 09:59:57

I just thought I'd add that calpol, medised, amoxicillin.. everything goes in his milk! It's just a huge sticky mess if it doesn't...

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 10:03:34

flum if you go to the chemist they should (if they are a good chemist shop) be able to give you a small syringe that you can use to give baby any meds with. an insulin syringe is perfect. (btw i mean a syringe not a syringe and needle!) just tell them what its for. or maybe at your gp's surgery.

just put the meds onto a teaspoon as normal and suck up the meds with the syringe, and as twig said, when baby opens her mouth, pop it inside her cheek and push the meds in. much easier

hth

singsong Thu 06-Jan-05 18:58:20

have you tried soluble children's paracetamol dissolved in some juice instead of calpol?

Merlin Thu 06-Jan-05 19:01:10

Syringe user here as well - DS is now 4 and won't take medicine any other way!!

sanchpanch Thu 06-Jan-05 19:25:14

my daughter is a horror to take medicine, she has a dummy so i have bought a dummy that you put the medicine into, i also use junior disprol that i disolve into her juice and it doesnt make it taste nasty, or you can mix the calpol in into the juice,

ChicPea Thu 06-Jan-05 19:29:49

Flumberry, you can put any medicine in formula for them to drink. The trick about getting it down them is to prepare 1-2oz only rather than say 6oz as she/he is more likely to finish the smaller amount than the larger one. With the smaller amount you know then that he/she has finished the dose.

jane313 Thu 06-Jan-05 19:31:24

Can you buy paracetamol suppositories over the counter? My son won't take any medicine except if mixed with fromage frais, yoghurt or chocolate pudding (if I'm desperate). He will spit it out or throw it up a minute later. This is for 2 types of paracetmaol, 2 types of nurofen, medesed, tixylix, antibiotics and I have used spoons, droppers and syringes (the markings wear off the altter very fast!). I have never tried it in milk as he I didn't want to put him off it (as its usually one of the only thing he'll have if hes ill)and he doesn't like juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now