Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do you get rid of a sodding tickly cough? Aaargh!!!

(15 Posts)
Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 20:04:32

It's me this time. What can I realistically do/take to get rid of the damn thing. Am pregnant so that might compromise things a bit. Can't sleep because of it, am bugging people at work because of it, water doesn't help, only sucking sweets helps but can't suck sweets all day or at night. And what is the point of a tickly cough?????????? Help please.

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 20:59:57

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 20:59:57

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

vict17 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:00:44

isnt there cough medicine for tickly coughs? have you asked a pharmicist?

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 21:02:18

Cough medicines don't work sob sob sob.

But thanks for suggesting

vict17 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:03:08

poor you! okay, what about a honey and lemon type drink?

milliways Tue 04-Jan-05 21:03:29

My DS suffered for days recently. Tried lozenges, spoonful of honey (works for a while), ribena etc. Eventually phoned GP who left out a prescription for a codeine linctus - he said it was the only sort that works AND IT DID! Call your GP tomorrow & hope you get a better sleep tonight

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 21:04:14

But I'm pregnant so doubt I can take codeine again.

milliways Tue 04-Jan-05 21:11:39

When pregnant with DD my GP gave my something for bronchitis as he said the coughing would do more damage than the medicine. Phone NHS direct for some advice - they are extremely helpful with this sort of thing.

biglips Tue 04-Jan-05 21:25:02

its the cough bug going round as ive had mine for a month now and now baba and DP got it and a few of my relatives got it too.

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 21:27:36

A MONTH!

Cough more dangerous than drugs? Oh now you're scaring me. I can cough until I feel sick. HATE IT! Will try honey and lemon and then ring GP tomorrow maybe - feel such a time waster ringing about a cough.

biglips Tue 04-Jan-05 21:33:13

tinker - you cannot take codeine only paracetomol (have i spelt that right?)

milliways Tue 04-Jan-05 21:37:16

Sorry - did not mean to scare you. It was v.chesty cough which led to bronchitis & was coughing so much I became wheezy & couldn't breathe. Only said it to say get advice eg NHS Direct, rather than suffering.

pabla Tue 04-Jan-05 21:38:28

When i was last pregnant I also had a tickly cough and couldn't take anything. The only cough medicine they recommend I think is the honey/lemon/glycerol for babies. However, I did get some cough sweets which worked really well. Of course I can't remember what they were. They were jellies rather than hard sweets, packaging looked old fashioned, rectangular box (maybe yellow?), cost about £1.70. Sorry but I've just thrown away the box.

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 21:39:45

It's ok milliways, I'm just being rather dramatic about it.

biglips - you're right, can only take paracetamol - WHICH DOESN'T GET RID OF COUGHS AAAARRRGGHH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now