Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Um, how can you tell if you've broken a toe?

(6 Posts)
Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 20:01:13

Daughter keeps banging her foot into the furniture and is now saying that her toe hurts all the time. Until now, I have been dismissing it with "Yeah, yeah, yeah" but, erm, it does actually look quite swollen now . So, how can I tell if it's broken and is there much you can do about it anyway? It's the little one. Thanks

JanH Tue 04-Jan-05 20:06:55

If it is broken I think all you can do is strap it to the one next to it as a splint, Tinker - if you can get some plaster around it, it sounds painful, she might not want you to touch it much. I don't think A & E would do anything else with it.

JanH Tue 04-Jan-05 20:08:02

Even if it isn't broken, splinting is still a good idea as it will stop her catching it on things.

Hope it's better soon!

kid Tue 04-Jan-05 20:08:42

DH broke his toe years ago, I think he kickedf the floor or goal post or something
His mum took him to the hospital and they used a splint to strap it to the next toe.

Freckle Tue 04-Jan-05 20:10:37

Having broken 3 toes (not all at once I hasten to add - but must admit to carelessness in managing to do it 3 times), it bl**dy well hurts. As others have said, there isn't much you can do and A&E would only strap it to the next toe.

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 20:43:24

Thank you all. Suspected there wasn't much you could do about it so have done you said and strapped it up. Now, can you all sort out my tickly cough? Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now