Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump in neck

(16 Posts)
Chocol8 Mon 03-Jan-05 22:38:41

I found a pea sized lump on the right side of my neck yesterday.

I had already made a docs appt in December for tomorrow, as I have been deaf in my right ear for over 4 weeks now, but it doesn't appear to be wax.

Just put two and two together and am worried as the lump is directly below my ear. Should I be concerned?

Blossomhill Mon 03-Jan-05 22:41:36

Is it directly below you ear as in on the crease of your ears. I am sure that is down to the problems you have been having over the past month. I often get those when I get a cold or infection.
Hope everything goes well at the doctors Bhxxx

Laylasmum Mon 03-Jan-05 22:42:02

do you think you may ahve had aninfection in the ear? if so its probably a swollen gland. is it quite hard and move when you press on it? i would imagine thats what it is HTH!!

Twiglett Mon 03-Jan-05 22:42:07

does it feel like a pea then? does it kind of move round under the skin?

pixiefish Mon 03-Jan-05 22:44:53

a friend of mine had something similar.
she had to have the lump removed as it was affecting her eharing.
She's fine now and it was nothing to do with morris dancers (if that's what you're worried about)
Don't get ahead of grief (sorry- poor tranlation from Welsh but you get the meaning)- wait and see what doc says- (says she who has a lump in hand and was convinced it was a tumor- saw doc last week and he says it's nothing to worry about- i've had it for 10 months and have worried about it for ages)

Twiglett Mon 03-Jan-05 22:46:02

pixie ..is your lump a ganglion???

pinkdiamond Mon 03-Jan-05 22:46:08

Message withdrawn

Chocol8 Mon 03-Jan-05 22:47:50

No, it's quite far down, not directly under my ear, about 6" or so, sorry I should have said in line with, rather than directly under.

It is pea sized but not attached to the skin - more like on the tendons (or whatever) inside my neck. It doesn't move around - it's quite static.

Twiglett Mon 03-Jan-05 22:49:18

its probably glandular as you're fighting an infection

try not to worry .. you will find out more tomorrow

SeaShells Mon 03-Jan-05 22:51:12

My Dad had a lump in his neck last year, it turned out it was a cyst. Let us all know how it goes tomorrow

Chocol8 Mon 03-Jan-05 22:53:05

Thanks guys - will let you know. Just a bit of a shock as I hadn't put the two things together until a few minutes ago.

That's what you get for putting "lump in neck" into google searches! Serves me right!

Will let you know how I get on, thanks.

Blossomhill Mon 03-Jan-05 22:53:57

Good luck. I am sure it will all be fine xxx

pixiefish Mon 03-Jan-05 22:57:19

flippin internet chocol8- you get the extremes on it. My hv despairs of me with the www- I always find worse case scenarios. Try to get some sleep, it probably is nothing serious, let us know how you get on though eh

bonniej Tue 04-Jan-05 14:12:12

don't search things like this.. i always do and then get in a blind panic. I had one exactly where yours is and i was convinced it was something terrible. It was due to an ear infection and went away by itself. bet yours does too!!

Chocol8 Tue 04-Jan-05 22:24:38

I have learnt my lesson about using search engines to look up medical stuff, slap on the wrist for me and 100 lines.

The doc said the lump is an enlarged gland and that my throat is still inflamed (after 4 months?)

My ear is compacted with hard wax and need to have 2 weeks of drops to soften it and then have it syringed (hate it).

Just thought i'd let you know, and thank you for your words of wisdom girls! x

pixiefish Tue 04-Jan-05 22:27:48

- so glad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now