Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GP appt at midday for 7 month old .. do you know what this is/could be

(22 Posts)
Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 10:05:18

3 days ago DD started running a temperature .. aha teething thinks I

wednesday night her temp topped 41 and she broke out in a rash so we spent 2 hours at A&E .... I couldn't initially tell if rash was blanching ... it was .. they said virus

thursday she was grumpy but OK'ish .. no temp ..

last night really high temps again

and this morning face and chest covered in rash .. its behind ears too .. but not on limbs .. she doesn't feel so hot now ..

eyes look half the size .. but is probably exhaustion

any ideas???

MarsLady Fri 31-Dec-04 10:10:25

no ideas, though if rash blanching then probably viral. You have my {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}. My DT1 has had incredibly high temp and vomitting all night and morning. Seeing GP this afternoon, but mainly to get industrial sized calpol and hopefully ibuprofen. I think DT1 has a viral infection, but it's not nice. Hope it goes well and your DD is better soon.

Pineapple Fri 31-Dec-04 10:12:47

Does the rash look like lace. My dd had slapped cheek about a year ago. It kept coming and going, one minute she would be fine the next hot and red and the rash would be all over her body.

Pineapple Fri 31-Dec-04 10:13:58

Oops - Rash was not on her limbs either just face and body

Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 10:18:30

DS had slapped cheek .. but his cheek was red

does it look different in young babies .. this is more splotchy and pin-pricky

thanks BTW .. I hate not knowing what's wrong and it seems a long time to wait

maybe will get industrial calpol / ibuprofen too .. do they do that on prescription

MarsLady Fri 31-Dec-04 10:39:09

yes, but you have to ask for it. Some doctors don't like to give it out. I always ask.

Gobbledigook Fri 31-Dec-04 10:59:41

Could it be measles?

Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 11:00:38

dunno GDG .. could it be???

DS had sepvax but hasn't had booster .. but he shows no symptoms

in a way if it is I'll be pleased .. over and done with and no need for vaccination

Gobbledigook Fri 31-Dec-04 11:02:16

True (re getting it over with etc).

Don't know, I'm not sure but your description of the rash sounds a bit like it and I know it comes on the face and behind ears rather than on limbs. That's all I'm going off really so could be completely wrong.

Is there measles around atm?

Potty1 Fri 31-Dec-04 11:02:52

Scarletina? rash feels like sandpaper, inside mouth and tingue have a 'strawberry' look. Hope she's better soon Twig.

(previously Luckymum)

Potty1 Fri 31-Dec-04 11:03:23

That's 'tongue'!

Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 14:23:23

If I could remove one word from a GP's vocabulary it would be ..

VIRUS

arrrrgghhhh

Gobbledigook Fri 31-Dec-04 14:24:00

Is that all he said? Oh I hate GPs.

Sorry any GPs on here but I find them hopeless.

Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 14:33:15

No she was lovely and caring and did loads of checks

raised glands, sore throat (but not pussy), clear chest and ears

she ruled out measles, chickenpox etc

said to keep an eye on it and if it changes / I'm concerned to seek help

she did ask a lot about whther she could've been in contact with anything she might be allergic to.. but it started Tuesday and we got back from Christmas away on Monday .. can't think of anything

oh well .. she's asleep at the moment .. all spotty like a red dalmation

Gobbledigook Fri 31-Dec-04 14:39:39

Bless.

Sorry, I'm sure she was good. I just hate it when they say 'it's viral, nothing we can do, just watch it...blah blah' - I know it's right but it's just frustrating!

HappyMumof2 Fri 31-Dec-04 15:05:22

Message withdrawn

Surfermum Fri 31-Dec-04 15:31:00

DD had something very similar - a high temp then a rash back in the summer. The rash started on her face then spread all over her body, and the temp fluctuated. The doctor who saw her said it was viral and prescribed some Piriton, which sorted it out.

Nik72 Fri 31-Dec-04 15:45:07

I don't mean to be grumpy, but what on earth do people expect GPs to say if something is obviously a virus - it would be completely irresponsible to give antibiotics as they can have side effects. I am a GP but I am also a real live person with feelings & it winds me up when people say things like all Gps are crap etc as it really makes me wonder why I bother doing the job...some of us do care about the people we see you know...rant rant - sorry.

Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 16:01:30

Nik .. I never said all GPs are crap .. I have met a couple who were crap .. but TBH I thnk they would've been crap if they'd been any other profession too .. some people just shouldn't be in a people-facing profession IYKWIM

I just hate the word Virus .. I know what it means .. it means time will tell and just deal with the symptoms.. you must appreciate that as a parent that's frustrating ... hence I would like to remove the word virus

Nutcracker Fri 31-Dec-04 16:04:59

Could it be Roseala Infantum (something like that, can't spell it).

My dd had it at about 1 year old. She had a high temp for about 2 days and then a rash.

Hope she is better sonn Twig.

Twiglett Fri 31-Dec-04 16:08:46

gosh Nutty that's exactly what it looks like and how it seems to be presenting too

(and you spelt it perfectly too)

thanks

Donbean Fri 31-Dec-04 16:48:12

When ds had a rash i googled rash and loads of pictures came up on some of the webbys, could you do that to compare.
Also, a friend of mine's DS has an alergic reaction to real Christmas trees believe it or not, he has similar symptoms but also wheezes. Its got better as he has got older but was a real worry every Christmas when he was a buba.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now