Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

would you be worried?

(12 Posts)
misdee Fri 31-Dec-04 09:44:29

another paranoid post from me about dd2 (there has been many over the years i know). she is now 2years and 4months old. Her walking gait is still not brilliant, she throws her right leg out when walking, and kinda boucnes along the rest of the time, almost like galloping. This means she is very clumsey, always walking into things, always falling over etc etc. Her fine motor skills are good tho. Her concentration level is great now, can sit colouring in for hours, and even tho she will use just one colour to colour in a pic (growling tiger from boo! was yesterdays, all in red) she will stay in the lines almost all the time.
Her speech is coming on great, tho my younger sister loves top boast her dd is better at talking but i blow raspberries to that.
(dont read this bit if eating)
DD2 however, does have very loose stools. they are very soft and baby like, considering she eats a varied diet, i would expect them to be harder by now, and tbh they smell absolutly disgusting, she has by far the worst poo's i have ever dealt with. She is used to vomit a lot, but that has lessened now, and is now only travel sick.

But would the wlaking thing and the poo's worry you? The consultant at the hospital dismissed her worries in june, but how can i help her if other people say there is possibly a problem, but the main doc wont aknowledge it?

Nutcracker Fri 31-Dec-04 09:47:54

You know your dd best Misdee and if you are still concerned then i would pursue it.

The walking would worry me i guess, can she run at all ??

As for the loose poos, well i'm not too sure hopefully someone else will be able to advise you on that.

misdee Fri 31-Dec-04 09:49:18

she does run, and jump etc, but the running is a gallop as well. its hard to explain really.

aloha Fri 31-Dec-04 10:00:21

My son is three and four months and still can't jump (two feet off the ground) and his running and walking is mostly like that of an 18month old - he is dyspraxic, though that isn't a terribly valuable diagnosis really, it just means he can't jump or run very well! Your daughter is a year younger and more advanced physically than my little lad. I do get frustrated with ds because it takes ages to do anything - eg climbing stairs is a nightmare - my heart sinks when I see them - but I really don't think your dd's clumsy gait sounds terribly bad. The poos wouldn't worry me personally. Soft stools are a lot better than constipation, after all. My ds often has them. I think once they are going to the loo instead of in nappies (oh happy day!) we won't notice so much.

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:00:38

Speak to your hv about your concerns with the walking misdee. I am sure that once the hv comes to see you she will know the next best course of action

misdee Fri 31-Dec-04 10:01:30

my Hv is a man

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:03:11

That's fine isn't it?

aloha Fri 31-Dec-04 10:07:59

Um, my HV looked at my ds, did his two year check a year late and suggested speech therapy!! (Believe me, he doesn't need speech therapy) I wish I had your faith, Blossomhill. Having said that, my old HV did refer him to a peadiatrician and a physio and both agreed that his gross motor skills (not his fine) were significantly out of kilter with his age and other abilities (ie advanced speech!!).

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:13:21

Must say my health visitor was crap too but then my dd's problems are different to this, so! Another starting point would be your gp as they seem to be able to get things started.
It's good that your ds doesn't need speech therapy aloha as half of the children in dd's unit have dysraxia and they are top priority for it!

misdee Fri 31-Dec-04 11:52:10

So u actually have a dx now aloha?

dd2 is just a big clumsey girl. some people say her height may be affecting her. (top top top end of charts).

aloha Fri 31-Dec-04 15:18:29

I think ds has very localised problems, thank God. He is just physically very, very slow and clumsy and can't really run properly and can't jump - but it doesn't appear to bother him. He's a very laid back and happy boy. Today my mum tried to hurry him upstairs by suggesting a race 'like the hare and tortoise' and said, 'come on, we're having a race' as ds crept upstairs super-slowly. He replied, 'But I am being the tortoise'
Yes, re the dx, the physio isn't really 'allowed' to diagnose dyspraxia so called it DCD, but the paediatrician (male and very nice but much more, erm, 'frank' than all the lovely female physios and OTs) said it was dyspraxia (which he agreed was not that useful in my ds's case as it was just a description of his lack of physical abilities, but there was no reason for them) and when I said I found it terribly frustrating that ds was so slow agreed cheerfully and said, "yes, it's painful, isn't it?" which sounds callous, but actually made me laugh (because it is! It is!)
He is on a waiting list for OT, but luckily atm doesn't find his lack of physical skills frustrating or upsetting. Long may this last.

misdee Fri 31-Dec-04 15:24:54

LOL at tortise bit!!

dd2 isnt bothered by her inability to stay upright, most adults physically flinch when she tumbles near them. she eyes up small flights of steps and instead of attempting to walk down, will do a 'clown' roll down them. it makes us laugh, but other people are horrified by it and fuss over her.

I do think she may have a slight problem with her hip, as the way she walks is quite odd to say the least. The consultant never checked hips, just checked reflexes and muscle tone. oh and watched her take 10 steps holding her dads hand, so didnt really see what we were on about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now