Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone's toddler shut their finger in a door??

(6 Posts)
FlashingRudolphNose Wed 29-Dec-04 18:13:44

My dd2 aged 21 months shut her finger in a door quite badly just before Christmas. The nail bed went purple but nothing else. Since then, dd1 has whacked the finger (accidentally) with a small wooden mallet (wince emoticon) and since then, the nail has started to come away and the end of her finger is bright red.

Does this mean it's infected? Should I take her to a doctor?

TIA

mumbojumbo Wed 29-Dec-04 18:26:09

When ds1 was younger (around 18 months, I think) I inadvertantly trapped his finger in a folding stepladder + <bad mother emoticon>. The tip of his finger went very red and the eventually the nail started to come away. The finger did go septic and he had to have a course of antibiotics. The day I took him to the docs was the day that the gunge came out from under the nail. I felt awful...but the nail eventually came away and grew back fine. Luckily he can't remember the incident at all....

For piece of mind, probably worth a visit to the docs.

jampots Wed 29-Dec-04 18:27:38

dh accidentally shut ds's finger in the back door of our range rover about 4 years ago. The nail went black and eventually fell off but a very long process

FlashingRudolphNose Wed 29-Dec-04 18:49:43

Eeew at these! Why are toddler fingers so tiny??

Thanks very much - I'll think we'll go to the doctor's in the morning.

WideWebWitch Thu 30-Dec-04 14:49:20

My ds shut his finger in the car door about 2 years ago and the nail went black quite quickly and eventually fell off. I took him to a&e on the day it happened and they made him wiggle his fingers to show it wasn't broken, so if she can wiggle them then it isn't I guess and all you can do is wait for the nail to fall off. Yuk! It took ages and ages, I think about 6 months, maybe more, for ds's to fall off but it didn't bother him much in the meantime and is perfectly normal now.

titchy Thu 30-Dec-04 16:18:31

If you think that's bad someone I know slammed the bathroom door shut.....with her dd's finger in the hinge bit.... and managed to chop her finger off - just hanging by a thread of skin. She rushed her to hospital and had it sewn back on that day and is now fine - fortunately. This was years ago but the mother still feels guilty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now