Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Inconsistant high temp over 2 weeks - what could it be?

(10 Posts)
mum2twins Wed 29-Dec-04 10:47:09

My ds fires up with temps of 40 during the night which I give him calpol/ibuprofen for and they last for instance from 6pm until 6am and then is fine again for a couple of days. The high temps are nearly always during the night and he gets really very hot! This has been going on for a good few weeks and it is not ears, chest infections etc. Doctors just say virus but does anyone know if it can be anything less obvious and more worrying?

merrymarthamoo Wed 29-Dec-04 11:37:36

My ds2 is doing the same thing. He has had a cough/cold for 5 weeks now - and intermittently very high temperatures (39.9 when he woke up this morning, he was shaking so badly he couldn't hold his cup - was really burning up). He's now fine and running round the house with his big brother. He's on antibiotics anyway for an ear infection that started on Christmas Eve - but he still has the cough/cold/and intermittent high temperature so I'm pretty certain it is viral. Wish it would go away though...

mum2twins Wed 29-Dec-04 11:52:39

thanks merrymarthamoo
it probably is then - just that we are supposed to be going away tomorrow (still in England) and it makes me think should I take him

merrymarthamoo Wed 29-Dec-04 11:56:55

That's a tough one. Would you rather be at home? It's always easier to be in your own home when they're poorly.

If you have to go (or want to go!) I would just take plenty of Calpol/Nurofen, the thermometer, a light sheet to cover him if he's hot at night, plenty of changes of 'jamas, a sponge for sponging down, and the number for NHS Direct!

If, like my ds2, he's fine in the daytime - drinking OK and eating a little (ds2's appetite is "off", but he is still eating) then I'd go if you want to. Good luck.

mum2twins Wed 29-Dec-04 12:03:59

since my last post he has said he wants to go to bed - he is eating a few carrots and mashed potato, doesn't want the rest of his dinner. And taken his temp again and it is creeping back up. boo-hoo. I just feel really sorry for him and his twin as they would be seeing their relatives their same age and they can't wait. (only see them annually). Maybe I'll see how the rest of the day goes. Thanks & hope your ds gets better soon.
x

merrymarthamoo Wed 29-Dec-04 12:09:35

I think if you would be seeing other children then maybe I wouldn't go - I'm always annoyed when people come to visit bringing poorly kids! I know you say it's only an annual thing but, just this once, can't you arrange to do it another time?

I hope your ds is better soon, too xx

mum2twins Wed 29-Dec-04 12:17:40

yes I think you are right. I will float the idea past dh as it is his brothers families and his mother. Don't want to be deemed the party pooper by his family. They live 'up North' and seem to be the only time everyone is in the same place at the same time. It just seems so annoying it comes and goes and is why I wondered if it could be anything else as his twin sister has been fine all this time.

merrymarthamoo Wed 29-Dec-04 13:09:08

She'll probably get it just as he's getting better......

Take care xx

bluemoon Thu 30-Dec-04 16:53:24

I'm really sorry to hear this mum2twins but also slightly relieved as we've een worrying about dd, 2.3 who's had a cough for about 6 weeks, mostly at night. It seemed to be getting better just before Christmas but has now returned along with a nocturnal temperature too. She's completely off her food too. I don't know if this is a new thing or the old one continued. She's so so in the day, sometimes quite chirpy, but much more clingy than usual and easily upset. Does that sound familiar?

NatureDoc Tue 04-Jan-05 13:59:26

If the doc can;t help then find a homeopath in your area to clear this up - Sambucol for kids is a great antiviral - you should be able to buy it in a local health food shop or buy iton the web from Higher Nature. Hope he gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now