Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Poo Question - don't read if eating or squeamish

(14 Posts)
SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 08:00:12

OK so who else am I going to ask about this? MNers of course

ds2 15 mo has constipation, hadn't been for 36 hours and I could tell it was going to be a case of straining out some hard marbles. I had to help him getting a couple of light brown marbles out. They were hard but a bit slimey (told you not to read if you were eating) and in the middle of them was fresh blood. Yes fresh blood. Just a bit, but it wasn't from his poor little rectum being strained on exit, it was within the turd. If you see what I mean. They turned out to be marble plugs and the rest of the poo was fine.

What do you think - panic or just keep a close eye on him and get him to drink lots of water?

thank goodness I have you lot to discuss the fine details of my children's bowel movements with.

kid Wed 29-Dec-04 08:10:01

I personally would keep an eye on him for the moment and encourage lots of fluids. If it happens again, then take him to get checked out.

Carla Wed 29-Dec-04 08:21:35

SW, just wanted to reiterate kid's brilliant advice. Everything crossed for you.

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 08:23:11

thanks for that .....do you think it could be something nasty then?

Carla Wed 29-Dec-04 08:26:36

Do you have the equivalent of NHS Direct out there, SW?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 29-Dec-04 08:27:53

Bright blood in the stools is normally a sign of damage near the anus, if not from a tear in the anus. If there's just a bit, and just once, I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye out for more of it. It sounds like a side-effect of constipation, and pretty normal.

I'd try to sort the constipation and watch for more blood. Damage at that end of the digestive system, from what I know, is fairly common and not too big a deal. It's dark blood, from higher up the system, that's more scary.

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 08:31:19

No we don't Carla, which is why my first thought was of MNers (creep creep).

Well that's very reassuring NQC, he likes chewing ice cubes so I'll feed him some more of those

thanks again

fisil Wed 29-Dec-04 09:11:06

Have you done the whole festive thing foodwise? It's just that we've had real pooing problems this week. Every poo has been a real song and dance. We didn't ever disect any of the poos, though, so I can't tell you if ours were bloody too. I blame the brussel sprouts!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 29-Dec-04 09:15:31

Festive food does tend to be high-fat, low-fibre, and hence constipating. Prunes, dried apricots, grapes, cherries, any fruit really, other than bananas, are great for sorting constipation, along with lots of fluid.

Keeping mobile also helps, which is another reason why the festive season is so hard on the gut. Bad weather and lots of telly!

fisil Wed 29-Dec-04 09:23:37

Yes NQC - for us it was the old grapes that got ds moving!

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 10:17:30

No we are vey bah humbug and it's too hot here aswell so although he has clearly had something he can't process I can't think what it could have been.

Anyway he's right as rain now so thanks for all the feedback

merrymarthamoo Wed 29-Dec-04 11:50:43

Well I felt obliged to read this thread, suze, as it's you but I feel a little queasy now (queasy non-envy face). Glad the little mite is feeling better now - agree with all, plenty of water and fruit (beetroot always gets things moving with us...)

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 14:17:29

MM can you imagine the Fragrant Boy straining and groaning, it was not pleasant. He is fine now though thanks -will email you very very soon xx

merrymarthamoo Wed 29-Dec-04 14:35:56

Yes you owe me one after I made all that effort with my page upon page of Christmas news

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now