Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone used Milk Thistle and will it help my gall bladder?

(12 Posts)
gingerbear Tue 28-Dec-04 21:45:51

What does it do? I know it is used as part of detoxing, but wondered if it would help with my dicky gall bladder? I can't seem to find out much about it on t'internet.

nailpolish Tue 28-Dec-04 21:48:42

ive heard its good for liver problems, gingerbear, i think. so possibly for gall bladders too. whats wrong, if you dont mind me being nosy!

gingerbear Tue 28-Dec-04 22:06:03

I have had 'sand' diagnosed - ie not quite gall stones. I don't want my gall bladder removed as I am not in pain like some others on MN have described. I also have IBS, and wondered if improved liver function would help this too. Hence my thoughts about milk thistle.
But I guess I should lay off the booze too

gingerbear Tue 28-Dec-04 22:08:03

Oh, and lose 2 stones

I can feel new year resolutionns coming on already.
Will have to finish off this bottle of Bailys first

gingerbear Tue 28-Dec-04 22:08:54

And buy a new keyboard/ spellchecker

Caligulights Tue 28-Dec-04 22:10:43

Gingerbear, don't lose those 2 stones too quickly - one of the biggest predictors of gallstones is a very sudden and quick loss of weight.

Out of interest, did you get any advice about how to make sure that the sand doesn't turn into gallstones?

gingerbear Tue 28-Dec-04 22:16:05

No, consultant was useless. The Ultrasound technician told me more than he did - low fat diet, but that is what everyone is told isn't it, and I eat low fat already! Apart from the Baileys - but it is Christmas!

Caligulights Tue 28-Dec-04 22:21:09

When I had gallstones last year, I was recommended a low fat diet, no onions, and to eat plenty of Granny Smith apples (there's something in that particular type which isn't in others) plus artichokes.

I don't know whether this stops the formation of gallstones, but it certainly controlled the attacks - I went from having attacks three times a week which lasted the best part of an hour, to having them once a fortnight for between four and fifteen minutes. The person who gave me this advice was actually a pharmacist, so you may find one who will be able to advise you as to whether this might help you.

(I know low fat without onions is really tough, but you get used to it, and the avoidance of gallstones is a great incentive. Meanwhile, enjoy the Baileys!)

gingerbear Tue 28-Dec-04 22:27:28

Thanks Caligula, once again, mumsnet triumphs
I am glad your attacks have subsided. Have you contemplated having your gallbladder removed? After reading another thread on here, it seems that can cause problems too.

Do you have to avoid garlic and leeks too? What about olive oil, or Omega 3/6 fish oils - can you still take these kind of supplements? (I have psoriasis too and these help my skin)

Caligulights Tue 28-Dec-04 22:39:28

I had my gall bladder removed last year and was absolutely fine until three weeks ago, when I had that stomach bug which was going around and had what felt like a gall bladder attack but it went on for about 4hours. It was horrific and I would have gone to A&E, but it was 4 O'clock in the morning and I didn't know how I would manage it with the kids. Apart from that, though, it's been fine.

I didn't give up garlic or leeks, but I didn't eat many leeks! I ate garlic all the time though. Also, I did have some oil in my diet, though kept to a minimum - I wouldn't have thought fish oil supplements would cause much of a problem, as they are a very small amount.

SueW Wed 29-Dec-04 08:57:28

Rosemary Conley's entire fortune is built upon her avoidance of surgery for gallbladder problems - see her hip and thigh diet books for details.

NatureDoc Tue 04-Jan-05 14:10:00

Gall bladder herbs include Milk Thistle, Dandelion and Fringetree and tons of apple juice - it is also great to do a gall bladder flush - see www.curezone.com for some incredible but revolting photos of what you can get out! Best to see a good naturopath e.g. www.gni-international.org if you choose to have this amazing experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now