Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

dd complaing that weeing hurts and has "sugary" crystals in nappy - what is it?

(12 Posts)
galaxy Mon 27-Dec-04 12:00:50

For the last few days, dd has been having a wee and poo on the potty before goingto bed and has said her wee hurts.

Yesterday, I noticed lumps in her nappy almost like tiny sugar crystals and they were there again in her nappy when I changed her when she woke up.

Any ideas? She's well in herslef otherwise and very happy, running around etc

cranberryjampot Mon 27-Dec-04 12:02:19

I think the sugary crystals are actually in the nappy. Is the nappy very wet when you find them? FWIR they should be softish. Maybe occurring because dd's urine is more acidic.

galaxy Mon 27-Dec-04 12:05:59

Are they? Her nappy was quite dry - just one wee. Never noticed it before but she was wearing a Huggies Convertible when she normally wears Pampers - I'll just keep an eye on it then.

Cheers

Harrysmom Mon 27-Dec-04 12:29:13

My DS had those in his nappy the other day, they looked like sugar but felt like some kind of gel. I was worried but have done a bit of research and found its likely to be a slight tear in the nappy, probably due to it being very wet. The kind of crystals that you hear about being passed in urine when there is a kidney problem for example are so small that we wouldn't be able to see them.

Bradsmum Mon 27-Dec-04 13:56:02

I used Huggies convertibles recently too and had the same thing - horrible shock until I realised it was the nappy! Never had that happen in a nappy before.

Socci Mon 27-Dec-04 14:05:35

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Mon 27-Dec-04 14:13:22

If weeing hurts her she could have a urinary tract infection. You should see a doctor - take a sample of urine so it can be tested.

cupcakes Mon 27-Dec-04 15:43:03

We had these crystals once in a Pampers nappy - it was a very full nappy, first thing in the morning which had caused it to tear slightly.
I phoned their helpline just to make sure that they were harmless.
They made me give them the batch details (finely printed on the nappy) as they said it sounded like the nappy was faulty.
And they sent me a £10 voucher!

Levanna Wed 29-Dec-04 01:35:59

Is your DD feeling better? If she is still complaining about weeing it would probably be best to have her checked for a UTI. They do tend to travel upwards so best to dispel the possiblilty sooner rather than later. Kidney stones can be visible, I have seen one (yeuch! Kept as a memento by an aquaintance after it was removed!) and they can reach several mm's in size. If you can save the 'crystals' along with some fresh urine to take to the GP's, it's possible they could test them too, to find out what they are once and for all.

galaxy Wed 29-Dec-04 10:44:23

She seems fine now - not complaining about pain when she wees and since putting her back into Pampers, no more crystals.

Thanks for all your messages.

Levanna Thu 30-Dec-04 00:22:43

Christmassbee Thu 30-Dec-04 00:28:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: