Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

baby gooey eyes

(11 Posts)
CaRowlers Mon 20-Dec-04 19:00:55

9 month old DD has gloopy yellow goo round one eye - has got worse over the day but not terrible. Eye looks a bit sore but not too bad.
How do I know if this is an eye infection or just one of those things that babies get? Just conscious that as Christmas is looming, may need to see the GP soon. At what stage do I make an appointment?
Anyone advise?
TA LOTS

DoesntChristmasDragOn Mon 20-Dec-04 19:01:35

I'd make an appointment now given that it's Christmas.

vict17 Mon 20-Dec-04 19:07:21

sounds like conjunctivitis in which case you'll need eye drops which are prescription only I think

blossomgoodwill Mon 20-Dec-04 19:08:56

I would go now. As soon as you can make an appointment as they can spread quickly.

CaRowlers Mon 20-Dec-04 19:11:55

Thanks ladies.
Poor little thing is already full of cold - she sounds like Darth Vader. And now this - will ring GP first thing.
She still can't help smiling all day long though, bless her.

coppertop Mon 20-Dec-04 19:13:27

When ds2 was a baby he had gooey eyes for months. However, it never looked sore. In your position I would make an appointment to see the GP or at least take dd to the HV.

EbenyZebraScrooge Mon 20-Dec-04 19:35:37

Bacterial conjunctivitis clears by itself (in my experience). Takes 5-7 days.
If you decide to not go the antibiotic route, give Calpol if it's obviously bothering her. Don't touch it or try to clean it, that will only make it worse... except splashing in the bath or public swimming pool is usually ok to clear it, a bit. They will wake up with their eyes looking awful, but should be able to open them ok within 30-60 minutes. I would give antibiotics myself if it was actually worse than that.
No one in my family has ever caught it from anybody else, I think it's only viral cj that's very contagious, and even the kids have had viral cj once or twice and it never spread to anybody else in the family.

dinny Tue 21-Dec-04 21:11:05

CaRowlers, my ds is just over three months and has had three colds, poor thing, and gets gooey eyes every time. I asked mw what to do and he said to squirt breastmilk in his eye. Have done so each time and it has literally cleared up in a few hours. And I just gently bath any gunk away with cool boiled water and cotton wool. Obviously only relevant if you are bfing.
If you do get antibiotics, I found the ointment MUCH easier to get in my dd's (2.5) eyes than the drops. hth

WigWamBam Tue 21-Dec-04 21:32:58

I second the breast milk advice, if you're breast feeding - sounds odd but it works.

marzipan Tue 21-Dec-04 21:43:42

Also try a solution of salt and warm water (not too much salt!) - wipe from one side to the other but do not reverse it - swab it every so often - if it doesn't work you need a prescription - def sounds like conjunctivitis

marzipan Tue 21-Dec-04 21:44:14

ps never try to peal or pick it away yourself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now