Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Washable Sanitary Towels

(66 Posts)
WigWamBam Fri 17-Dec-04 21:57:15

I get really sore using disposable sanitary towels, and have been thinking about changing to reusables. But I don't know where to start! Does anyone use them and have any recommendations?

Please don't turn this into an argument on the rights and wrongs of disposable sanitary protection ...

feastofstevenmom Fri 17-Dec-04 21:58:31

i would imagine one of those mooncup sites you dug up would have details? or dare i say it, what about a mooncup?

never used them, so can't really comment

wobblystarryknicks Fri 17-Dec-04 21:58:56

wwb - baby socks ala your old links??

pixiefish Fri 17-Dec-04 21:59:27

i'd be interested as well- if anyone's got any info

stitch Fri 17-Dec-04 22:03:18

twinkle on the web, who sell reusable nappies also have a section on washable sanitary stuff.

when my mom was young, they didnt have disposable stuff, but they never actually washed the bits of cloth they used. as they used to make there own clothes then, there was always enough material left to use as sanitary protection, and then just chuck.

if you are getting sore with disposables, then i dont think that washables are your answer. from my experience of using reusable nappies, they are harsher on the skin than disposables, as they stay wet.yes they are breathable when dry, but once wet i had to change the nappy pretty quickly. a disposable could be left on for four hours up to six or seven, but a cloth nappy had to be changed immediatly after a pooh, and at least every two hours, or more often after a wee.
try tampons?
hope this helps.

FimboCLAUS Fri 17-Dec-04 22:04:32

OMG-Didn't realise anything like this existed (had to read thread twice to make sure I had read it properly!). Also very interested for any info

Cinderellascarrieg Fri 17-Dec-04 22:04:55

reusable pads

Got my nappies from this lady - really helpful. Not tried the pads as still bf'ing & enjoying a complete lack of periods, but definitely something I'm going to try.

lockets Fri 17-Dec-04 22:06:13

Message withdrawn

feastofstevenmom Fri 17-Dec-04 22:07:33

some info here:

here

also has some info on natracare products - think they are unbleached disposables - so possibly might be less irritating?

stitch Fri 17-Dec-04 22:13:34

anyone use the mooncup?

aloha Fri 17-Dec-04 22:14:45

What next??? Reusable loo paper?

pixiefish Fri 17-Dec-04 22:14:51

didn't realise that these existed- have had a quick read- looks really good. anyone any experience of using them?

littlemissbossy Fri 17-Dec-04 22:20:10

me too, I've never heard of a mooncup? has anyone else had experience of them?

MerryTissMas Fri 17-Dec-04 22:22:12

stitch, you're wrong, washable pads are MUCH more comfortable than disposable- they can be made with a fleece layer which keeps the skin dry - just like washable nappies, and there are plenty of cloth nappy users who would disagree with you about them being harsher as well- I wouldn't DREAM of leaving a nappy on my child for 6 hours, sorry but that's gross!

Try Ella's House for washable pads.

BTW, I use a mooncup as well, and am very happy with it.

JanH Fri 17-Dec-04 22:22:19

previous mooncup threads for you, lmb!

FimboCLAUS Fri 17-Dec-04 22:22:21

So glad nobody else had heard of these - I was beginning to think it was only me!! Mooncups do they really work?

FimboCLAUS Fri 17-Dec-04 22:24:25

LOL at being able to stick it in the dishwasher!!

MerryTissMas Fri 17-Dec-04 22:26:42

Yes, they really work, but are not for the squeamish, as you get to see the, er, blood in all its glory! I haven't put mine in the dishwasher yet, though, as my dh usually unloads it!!

Cinderellascarrieg Fri 17-Dec-04 22:27:25

Sounds like far too much fannying around if you ask me <ahem>.

pixiefish Fri 17-Dec-04 22:28:53

Merrytissmas- i take it you mean the dishwasher

FimboCLAUS Fri 17-Dec-04 22:29:02

MTM-I am even more curious now - want/need to ask you loads of questions....

MerryTissMas Fri 17-Dec-04 22:30:16

Ok, fire away...

pixiefish Fri 17-Dec-04 22:30:54

Are they 'leak proof' or does the blood go through to your undies

FimboCLAUS Fri 17-Dec-04 22:32:35

LOL . Pixiefish asked my question!!! Do you just tip it out or what (sorry if that sounds gross)

MerryTissMas Fri 17-Dec-04 22:33:20

On a heavy day you have to empty it before it fills right up , or you get a bit of overflow, but far less than if you don't change a tampon in time.

On my heaviest day I need to empty it about every 2 - 3 hours, when I'm up and about, but it will easily go overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now