Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dentists - so what do you do when the NHS ones are full

(11 Posts)
Pagan Tue 14-Dec-04 10:43:08

Have gone round all the NHS dentists in area and they are all full. I'd like to register my DD (15 months) somewhere so do I just have to go private??

I'm not registered anywhere incidently - lucky enough to have very healthy teeth - but feel it's appropriate to set a good example to DD.

OnTheJA9thDayOfChristmas Tue 14-Dec-04 10:55:26

GOOD QUESTION!!!!

I will watch this thread with interest....

(have just moved to a new city and am in same situation)

Festivepussy Tue 14-Dec-04 10:58:30

For my dd they had a communitity dentist place that she went to when she was 1...and by the time she was 2.5 we had a dentist. Ask your HV

WigWamBam Tue 14-Dec-04 11:24:57

Many private dentists will see your daughter without charge, ring around them and see. They may want you to register with them as well, though, and you will either have to pay or take out dental insurance.

Chuffingoodtime Tue 14-Dec-04 12:27:30

We have a private dentist and talking to others at work who have nhs the charges actually aren't much more than they pay subsidised. I'd call around to see if you can get some prices...we pay £25 for a checkup and clean in central london so can't be bothered trying to find an nhs and worrying about the waits.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Tue 14-Dec-04 12:31:04

I asked this a few weeks ag o as we couldn't find a dentist anywhere. The lovely mumsnetters told me that the NHS are obliged to find you an NHS dentist and if you go to their website you can search for your nearest one or call the NHS helpline - will be back in a few moments with the link for you

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Tue 14-Dec-04 12:44:16

go to www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
search for local dentist, key in your postcode and will show all dentists in yr area including those open to nhs patients.

Pagan Tue 14-Dec-04 14:06:52

Thanks ever so - shall keep you posted as to how I get on

pebbles2004pebbles Tue 14-Dec-04 14:10:30

You will prbably find that somewhere in your area you have an NHS DENTAL ACCESS CENTRE. Mine is only 3 miles away and they will see you. I was with them for 2 months before an NHS dentist in my area managed to get me on the list.... back for a filling on friday - dreading it!

Pagan Mon 09-May-05 16:00:22

Thought I'd better update.

I happened to call in on my local dentist to register to go private. Was accepted with open arms, told that the 2 kids would be NHS and then on discovering that I was still eligible for free cover I too am on NHS until DS is a year old

Result!!!

kid Mon 09-May-05 16:43:24

NHS patients don't pay much less than private patients anyway. I'm not sure if all dentists are the same but DH was charged 80% of the fee instead of the 100% payable by private patients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now