Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

QUICK ADVICE PLEASE ... RE: Child Temperature?

(22 Posts)
TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Mon 13-Dec-04 21:04:56

Hi all

DS (3.10) has been vomiting and complaining of a sore tummy (vomited at 8.40 am then was fine all day then puked at 6pm, 7pm and just now .. all he's eaten all day has been dry bread, 4 slices of cucumber and an apple, he's been drinking very diluted apple juice)

Anyway took his temperature and its a couple of degrees BELOW normal .. ie its around 34.5 and he's normally around 36.6 when healthy.. is this something to worry about? I've never experienced a low temp before

Millie1 Mon 13-Dec-04 21:08:21

No idea but have you checked it again (or the other ear) ... are you using a digital thermometer? Sometimes I find they give false readings if you get the angle wrong. Hope he's okay.

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Mon 13-Dec-04 21:09:51

ear digital thermometer ... but have taken it around 5 times and know its fairly accurate

thanks though millie

mrschristmaswallace Mon 13-Dec-04 21:10:17

ring nhs direct twig, think it depends where temp took as to how much is varies up and down!they'll put your mind at rest
hope hes feeling better.

nailpolish Mon 13-Dec-04 21:13:39

i know babies can have a lower temp that adults but im not sure about older toddlers etc. i would take another reading and if you are still worried phone nhs 24. i wouldnt worry about him only eating small amounts as long as he is still sipping water and not vomiting it all up. does he have diahorrea too? watch for dehydration. nhs 24 are really good - ive used them 3 times and found them excellent (nhs direct up here though) best of luck hope he feels better soon

KristmasBear Mon 13-Dec-04 21:19:28

I'm a bit of a temperature freak - always chasing DS around with digital thermometer (he has twice had febrile convulsions due to HIGH temperature).

Anyway, I have sometimes taken his temp and found it to be lower than normal. I always think "thank god" and have never worried as long as it wasn't high but that doesn't mean you shouldn't worry I suppose. I'm not being very helpful I know but I wanted to let you know this has happened to someone else. I would phone the out of hours doc. Hope he is okay soon.

Laylasmum Mon 13-Dec-04 21:19:45

If he's got an infection his temp would be above 37 a low temp doesn't really mean anything if you child feels warm and is pink and active ( think your thermometer may be giving false readings try changing batteries!!)

soapboxingday Mon 13-Dec-04 21:22:57

I googled for 'low temperature in children' and all I managed to find was a healthcare professionals bulletin which warns of the danger of incorrect temperature readings when using a digital ear thermometer. So it looks like even teh professionals get it wrong when using these!

I would try replacing the battery and then try again.

I also remember that sometimes if the thermometer cover (the plasticy bit) is not on properly this can cause a low reading. So replace that with a new one and try again????

MrsBigDrumsADrumming Mon 13-Dec-04 21:24:46

Low temperature shouldn't be an issue unless you know he's been exposed to cold, i.e. might be suffering from hypothermia, but that usually isn't accompanied by vomiting. He might just have low bloodpressure/sugar levels due to vomiting. I'm hypotonic and hypoglycaemic and usually sport a low temperature

Also I now use these forehead strips to take dd's temperature... very quick and not as much of a fight to get the ear thermo in...

But if you're worried... call NHS direct just to put your mind at ease Hope he's better soon. There's a bug going round at the moment I think as both dd and ds have had the vomiting bit on and off

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Mon 13-Dec-04 21:27:40

Thanks all .. I did call NHS direct and they said it would take a couple of hours for someone to get back to me

He's asleep now ..

I'm not overlly worried just a little confused

BTW thermometer is reading my temperature fine so don't think there's a battery problem

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Mon 13-Dec-04 21:33:36

he's writhing around in pain again

NatureDoc Mon 13-Dec-04 21:43:24

It's a very cold night - put the thermometer in warm to blood temperature water first then test...just an idea. Poor little one - does he seem cold to touch - the other thing is to check his temeperature under his armpit or his bottom....good luck.

MrsBigDrumsADrumming Mon 13-Dec-04 21:44:47

Twiglett... do you remember what he has eaten yesterday and the day before? Maybe it's a mild form of food poisoning?

nailpolish Mon 13-Dec-04 21:45:47

poor wee thing - will he take warm water to drink? might help his sore tummy. there is nothing worse than a sore tummy

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Mon 13-Dec-04 21:58:58

he was at a party yesterday afternoon .. so had adult party food .. could be that .. can't get through to hostess though to see how her boys are

he's asleep again now .. but keeps waking up and writhing .. you feel so helpless don't you ..

he's vomited immediately after nurofen and calpol but I'm loathe to give him anything else

mrschristmaswallace Mon 13-Dec-04 21:59:43

off now, but hope he feels better soon? and you get some sleep
night hun.x

SnowmAngeliz Mon 13-Dec-04 22:27:05

Twiglett, hope he's feeling better soon+++++++

linnyNollaig Mon 13-Dec-04 22:30:12

Low temp can indicate loss of body fliuds..
which is prob consistent with his tummy bug..
Try to get him to keep sipping fluids and keep going with light "dry" foods for next 24hrs or so,

On other note, paralink suppositories are great if he's not able to keep calpol or nurofen down..
Hope you get some sleep,, he should be feeling better tomorrow.. if not id take him to gp just to be on the safe side..

Its so hard when they're ill and its the feeling of helplessness thats worse than anything
Hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Tue 14-Dec-04 10:22:46

Thanks all

still puking after every mouthful so

.. heigh ho heigh ho,
its off to the docs we go,
with vomity child and screeching babe
heigh ho heigh ho heigh ho heigh ho

<<Twiglett pleads sleep deprivation>>

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 14-Dec-04 10:24:18

Awww... good luck Twiglett - hope he makes a swift recovery.

ktelouise Tue 05-Feb-08 02:19:26

hi all my daughter has got a low temperature iv checked it loads and its always coming out at aroung 34.4. i phoned nhs 24 up and they sent out an ambulance but they said she was fine and just gave her some calpol.iv been checking her temp every half hour and it keeps going down im starting to get worried as shes had nothing to eat or drink all day and i mean nothing. HELP PEOPLE xx

MammyOfAPrincess Sat 17-Dec-16 21:49:45

Hi all, just a little information to add to the group..
My 10 month old has had a high temp for the past week reading anywhere between 37 to 39.5! I was very shocked tonight when I seen her to be shivering & when I checked her temp for it to be 34.4!! I rang the open access number I had been given earlier in the week where she had been diagnosed with croup and the nurse advised me this will be down to the ibuprofen she has been taken. They are not sure why this happens as they take the ibuprofen to bring the temp down.. but not by that much! She advised me to keep a blanket over her until her temp started to rise again but this is pretty normal and happens a lot on the ward.
Hope this helps someone who panicked like I did! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now