Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats 4 weeks after giving birth

(9 Posts)
MalikaAndMungo Sun 17-Feb-08 19:53:21

Hi all!
I had my second baby 4 weeks ago today and am still sweating BUCKETS at night. Anyone else had this? I didn't have it first time round, and thought it would end after a fortnight, but if anything it's got worse. I wear simple cotton clothing to bed and the heating's not too hot - I know it's hormones but still.... I just want to know that it's not just me, and I wonder how long it can go on! The bed is drenched when I wake up to feed the baby - really pleasant!!
Malika

CarGirl Sun 17-Feb-08 20:01:32

Hate to tell you but with dc3 it was more like 9 months before they stopped! Only a few weeks with my other 3 dc though - I have no idea why it was so different with her though.

dontwanttogetoutofbed Sun 17-Feb-08 20:03:05

i had this too for about two months. i would wake up WET!!! i quite liked it to be honest its good for your skin

littlerach Sun 17-Feb-08 20:03:24

Yes!
After dd2 it went on for a cople of months.
I slept on a towel in the end, as the sheets were damp.
And i kept getting a rash.

Sycamoretree Sun 17-Feb-08 20:08:13

Oh goodness - I had this - they were unbearable, and in August too. In the morning, it was like someone had poured a bucket of water on to my mattress. I went to GP because was also worried my c-section scar wasn't healing right (it was ok in the end). I think mine lasted about 8 weeks (sorry!) but GP didn't really have much advice as far as I remember, though he did take me seriously and said I was to check my temperature when they occurred - I never had a fever though. Here's some info from babycenter:

I've been sweating nonstop since giving birth. What's going on?
It's common to perspire a lot in the weeks after giving birth, particularly at night. Sweating is one of the ways your body rids itself of the extra water you retained during pregnancy.

Your kidneys are responsible for most of the purging, which means you'll be urinating more than usual for the first week after giving birth. But your pores also work overtime to shed the extra water. The emotional stress of new motherhood might be causing you to sweat more, too, and though no one knows for sure, it's possible that the dramatic drop in estrogen that occurs right after delivery also contributes.

Even after the water weight is gone, you may continue to sweat more than usual if you're nursing. Again, the cause is not well studied or understood, but theories include hormonal and metabolic changes associated with breastfeeding.

Although postpartum sweating is entirely normal, if it's accompanied by a fever, you could have an infection. Increased sweating can also be a sign of other problems, such as an overactive thyroid gland. Check with your healthcare provider if you have a fever or you think your sweating is excessive.
How long will it last?
Postpartum sweating can last several weeks after birth, though it tends to last longer for breastfeeding women.
What can I do about it?
Don't cut back on liquids in hopes of sweating less. Drinking lots of noncaffeinated, nonalcoholic fluids actually helps speed up the process of eliminating extra water and keeps you from getting dehydrated.

Sycamoretree Sun 17-Feb-08 20:09:42

I should add that this was also with my second baby, who I breastfed - I don't remember it with my first babe, who was sadly formula fed from about 1 week

pendulum Sun 17-Feb-08 20:10:32

yes- also with DD2 but not DD1
lasted about 8 weeks

kept a stack of fresh nightshirts by the bed and changed whenever I woke up

KjHoRgS Mon 14-Jun-10 01:36:23

I'm sooo happy to see all these messages! I gave birth 10 days ago and cannot stop sweating at night..I do everything possible to lessen it (keep the AC on, cotton pjs, no blankets) and it seems to just get worse! I end up showering at least twice a night when I wake up to feed my baby and my husband always changes the sheets around 3am because they are completely soaked! I asked my babies doctor about it and she said its normal and my body thinks it is running a marathon right now but it is almost unbearable!

Robin111 Thu 19-Nov-15 11:14:20

Maybe this will help www.supremereview.com/talking-to-toddlers-review/
Positive review!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now