Buried Penis, Tight Foreskin and Circumcision

(29 Posts)
sherby Fri 25-Jan-08 21:42:20

Hello All

I could really do with some advice here or if anybody has any experience of this I would love to hear from you.

Basically DS is nearly 6 mths old and since he was born every GP/HV who has happened to see his penis has commented on the size or lack of hmm. You can only really see about 2mm or foreskin and the rest of his penis is buried in the fat pad. When he had his 6 week check the GP noted it and said to come back in a few months to check on it. Well I went back today and she said he definitely has buried penis and also a very tight foreskin.

I thought she would send us to the uroligist to get it checked but she wanted to send us to the general surgery team for a circumcision.

Firstly the whole idea of a circumcision is just nooooo for me. I'm not really sure why since I don't know much about it but it just seems wrong IYKWIM, plus I have read over and over that buried penis is mostly caused by circumcision in the first place so I can't see how this will help and not just make things worse. Has anybody else got experience of buried penis with their DS? I know in the grand scheme of things it is not a horrible thing to have wrong and it is only cosmetic but we all know that penises have a huge psychological effect on men and I can't help thinking that it may effect his self esteem or cause bullyiing at school.

And plus I thought all children had tight foreskin at this age?

OP’s posts: |
fingerwoman Fri 25-Jan-08 21:45:26

hmm i would definitely get a second opinion and ask for a referral to a paediatrician to decide what's the best thing to do

Shitemum Fri 25-Jan-08 21:51:44

(sherby - sorry, you obviously have more important things to worry about, but did you manage to track down the Sopranos 5th series yet? Sorry for hijack hope your DS gets the right treatment soon smile)

sherby Fri 25-Jan-08 22:01:32

Shitemum, I will grasp DP by the collar when he comes in and get him to track it down, it is my pet hate that he lends my stuff out and just never gets it back, I will let you know.

How do you go about getting a second opinion? Can you just see another doctor at the same surgery and say you are not happy with what the first one said?

OP’s posts: |
fingerwoman Fri 25-Jan-08 22:04:38

yes, just make an appt with someone else. say ytou've looked into it a bit and you aren't happy with just going for a circumcision without discussing it with someone a bit more knowledgable about it and that you want to be referred to a paed or urologist or whoever would be most help

Shitemum Fri 25-Jan-08 22:12:17


sherby Sat 26-Jan-08 07:34:21

Come on, I can't be the only one whos DS has a dodgy wanger? hmm

OP’s posts: |


strawberry Sat 26-Jan-08 07:46:07

DS1 has had a circumcision for tight foreskin and it was fine. He was having recurrent infections so is much better now. Circumcision can be for medical reasons you know. It doesn't mean the same as having it done for cosmetic reasons. Get a second opinion definitely. For tight foreskin they won't do the op until at least 3 yrs old. I'm sorry I don't know about buried penis.

In terms of playground, Ds is not the only one in his class. Last week was the first time it had been mentioned that his is different but he seemed ok with it. I said some people have blue eyes, some green or brown - we are all different etc. Hope this helps and your DS is ok.

strawberry Sat 26-Jan-08 07:49:16

Meant to say ds was assessed by a general surgeon who had lots of experience in this area. We initially adopted a wait and see approach. Doens't mean your ds will be going to straight to the ooperating table! Howver, if you'd rather see urologist or paediatrician then just go back to original GP and explain your reservations.

carmenelectra Sat 26-Jan-08 07:49:18

Oh poor little mite. I would def get paediatric referral and then if neccessary, they could refer him to urologist.

They do all have a tight foreskin though, dont they, when they are little.

My ds's willy looks small, not hidden though. Looks normal, just small. No doctors ever commented tho. I do hope hes ok when he is older.

Sorry i do not have nay experience of what your ds has though. Hope hes oksmile

carmenelectra Sat 26-Jan-08 07:51:05

I agree with strawberry, if circumcision is done for medical reasons its different. Otherwise, it does semm totally barbaric.

My dp was circumcised for tight foreskinblush

sherby Sat 26-Jan-08 08:38:25

Oooo replies

Yes sorry should of clarified, I have no problem with circ for medical reasons at all, it justs seems that they may be 7juslightly circ happy as it was my understanding that all boys had a tight foreskin until a certain age. So I would rather they didn't have to do it unless it is really necessary.

Although the GP did say that it may help to release the penis slightly.

OP’s posts: |
OLDroot Sat 26-Jan-08 08:41:28

My son had a busied penis and an expert at GOSH took a look while ds1 was being seen for his Kidneys and said under no circumstances should we do anything about it. It will come out on it's own

And it did

pooka Sat 26-Jan-08 08:42:03

I think you should definitely get a referral to a specialist. Rather than straight to circumcision.

sherby Sat 26-Jan-08 08:44:38

Oldroot, thank you that was just what I wanted somebody to say! Hold old is DS now?

Yes I think I will go back and see a different GP and say I at least want to see a urologist

OP’s posts: |
OLDroot Sat 26-Jan-08 09:50:39

My son is 12 now.

Get recomended to a specialist.

Mrs Dillon at GOSH is wonderful and said that some doctors recomended doing some kind f surgery and it was important that this was not done as the penis could disapear

sherby Sat 26-Jan-08 10:44:09

My GP did mention that there is an operation they can do to release it, do you think this is what hes was on about or just the foreskin thing?

I will see what the urologist has to say and take it from there, thanks for the help.

OP’s posts: |
OLDroot Sat 26-Jan-08 17:09:47

just be very careful. and see a speicalist

Trolleydolly71 Sat 26-Jan-08 22:16:00

Message withdrawn

Blu Sat 26-Jan-08 22:21:06

Sherby - you can ask to be referred to GOSH, I think. Ask your GP.

SparklyGothKat Sat 26-Jan-08 22:23:36

sorry for hi-jack. Ds1 is now 10 and still can't retract his foreskin, should I go back to the doctors?

WendyWeber Sat 26-Jan-08 22:29:40

At 10 it really should retract, Kat, so I guess you should sad

He won't like it that age though so I guess you should talk to him about it first

SparklyGothKat Sat 26-Jan-08 22:31:02

arse, I took him to the GP when he was 7 and the GP said it should loosen off, but the other day I asked him if he could retract it, while in the bath and he can't.

WendyWeber Sat 26-Jan-08 22:35:21

Oh, read this bit from trolleydolly's link though.


The foreskin and the glans develop as one structure. Natural separation of the two structures occurs gradually during childhood. The age at which the foreskin becomes retractable differs for each child. It may take until the age of 17 or beyond. This is normal. Forcing the foreskin to retract may cause pain, bleeding, scarring, infection, and adhesions. Therefore, the foreskin of a child should be retracted only by the child himself when he is ready to do so.

Stretching a tight foreskin

The vast majority of tight foreskins can be suitably loosened within a month or so by careful stretching twice daily. Use baby oil, Vaseline intensive care hand and body lotion, Nivea or any bland cream as a lubricant. Pull the foreskin forward away from the body several times then pull it back as far as it will comfortably go and hold it in this stretched position for several minutes. When the gap becomes large enough insert your thumb, or smaller finger if necessary, into the foreskin and grip the glans (the head of the penis) between finger and thumb. Roll the foreskin over the thumb until the tight ring is white with stretching. Hold it in this position as long as you can at a time - say 5 minutes. Repeat as often as you have the time and enthusiasm for. If later you find there is room for two or more fingers then use them. It may also help if you soak your penis in warm water for some minutes before you start to stretch.>>

Show it to DS1 and see if he's OK with trying this himself.

Heated Sat 26-Jan-08 22:37:15

Don't know about a buried penis but unless it is causing him medical problems couldn't you just adopt a wait and see policy?

I asked that DS was referred to a urologist at 2 because he has a tight foreskin which made for an interesting sight when he went to the loo! Think of a balloon!

He advised circumcision and put him on the waiting list. In the meantime I did further reading which essentially said all boys are born with foreskins that won't retract but by 2/3 it will for most but for some not until they are 4-5yrs. After the age of 2 you can gently try to retract it a bit to help it loosen but not to try it before as it would tear (ouch!). If there were repeated infections though a circumcision was advised.

I took ds off the waiting list for the time being & assumed he'd be one of those boys for whom it would happen a bit later. It's still too early to say he won't need any further intervention but already much better (no infections, no ballooning, some retraction).

You could try reading www.netdoctor.co.uk/menshealth/facts/circumcision.htm to see if this helps.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in