Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Broken Bones. Do they REALLY take 6 weeks to heal?

(21 Posts)
KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:08:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:09:11

fortyplus Thu 10-Jan-08 15:20:10

You just behave yourself and don't do anything daft! [stern emoticon]

grin It stops hurting as the bones start to knit together. Whe you have the cast off it will hurt like hell again! There, that cheered you up, didn't it? wink

hedgehog1979 Thu 10-Jan-08 15:32:00

as a serial bone breaker different bones take different lengths of time to heal.

I have done wrists/elbows/ulnas etc and have always been in plaster for at least 5 - 6 weeks with those.

Broken toe and meta tarsal both were in plaster for 3-4 weeks and then very tightly bandaged to ensure no movement

Fingers are the worst as they don't plaster them I can still feel the movement in one of them in the wrong place. I broke that one when I was 14 (OMG that was 1/2 my life agoshock)

Good luck Kerry with whatever they do to you, hope you are prepared for what the leg will look like under the cast though coz that has always been the worst bit for me!! grinLOL

KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:38:36

KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:39:02

KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:39:22

Threadworm Thu 10-Jan-08 15:41:44

Both of my DSs' fractures healed within the six weeks, but from conversations at the time I gather that the older you are the slower the healing, and that in some cases six weeks is not enough. Having said that, there must be some bones in the body which hel quicker than others. Hope that yours heals up quickly and well! smile

(Eat loads of calcium-rich foods?)

KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:46:02

MerlinsBeard Thu 10-Jan-08 15:46:44

depends what bone and where, how bad the break and whether the bone needs to bear weightn (and therefore how much weighT)

It will heal when it heals and then you will still not be back to normal as you need to essentially re learn walking properly again.

Threadworm Thu 10-Jan-08 15:47:46

I won't be 45 for another 17 days [smugly youthful emoticon]

ZippiBabes Thu 10-Jan-08 15:47:49

my ankle is still got something wrong from dec 1st

starting to think it was a fracture

no idea smile in answer to your question

KrippledKerryMum Thu 10-Jan-08 15:51:41

MerlinsBeard Thu 10-Jan-08 16:05:33

I'm not 45 for another 19 years gringrin

fortyplus Thu 10-Jan-08 23:08:47

Kerry - better to have dodgy left foot for clutch than right foot for brake! grin

fortyplus Thu 10-Jan-08 23:10:26

mumofmonsters - just you wait - 45 comes round quicker than you think! The years really do speed up the older you get! grin

You young whippersnapper you

fodida Wed 16-Jan-08 09:27:42

I broke my ankle 2 months ago. I'm 33 and quit smoking 2 months ago when I found out that I was diabetic. I went to the Doctor yesterday to have my cast removed and found out that the bone has not healed much at all. I know that diabetics take longer to heal. They put my back on and said to return in a month.angry The Doctor asked if I drank milk, yogurt or cheese. I do every day so I should be ok with calcium. He says it has nothing to do with me being diabetic which I find hard to believe. I have addressed all the issues that may delay healing. I need ideas to speed up my recovery.Calcium, Vitamin C, Zinc silica....anything else?

Mercy Wed 16-Jan-08 09:30:31

Kerry, ds' friend broke his leg last year and he had a cast on for 6 weeks. However, after 2/3 weeks he was able to walk around pretty well.

(friend is only 3 though!)

themildmanneredjanitor Wed 16-Jan-08 09:30:34

nana1957 Mon 19-Jan-09 04:55:24

Oh no, I'm 45++++ does that mean it's going to take a lot longer? (hmm)

I badly fractured my ankle bone which needed plate & pins. I have a half cast I think they call it, (part cast part bandage) which needs to be on for 2 weeks, then if ok it will go in a full cast.

I'm keeping my foot up raised as much as I can but as soon as I move to go on the crutches my leg gets quite tight & tingling, toes go a slight blue colour & I feel slightly faint - is this normal after an operation like this? As soon as I get back with my feet up everything is fine!

Milliways Mon 19-Jan-09 16:55:09

DS broke his leg, and when they took the plaster off after 6 weeks he screamed. They re-X-rayed and re-plastered him for a further 3 weeks.

Might have had something to do with them first telling him it wasn't broken so NOT plastering for 4 days.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: