Low iron and tingling?

(12 Posts)
Mumma02 Tue 04-May-21 14:59:01

Has anyone experienced tingling because of low iron? I've had my results back today and knew my stores were low because I've expericed air hunger, palpitations, headaches, freezing cold hands and feet, hair falling out, fatigue etc...but has anyonr ever experienced tingling feelings because of this? I had nerve conduction tests done at the start of the year and the consultant said low iron can cause this but I've found nothing to support this online and it's not listed as a common side effect. I've been spiralling reading up on all things MS thinking it's that? sad
Results:
Iron - 13 (Range 10-30)
Ferritin - 14

OP’s posts: |
Wavypurple Tue 04-May-21 15:13:16

Please do not panic about this. MS is not the first thing that a clinician would consider regarding tingling.

I have experienced it myself with low iron. Felt better after supplements.

Bells3032 Tue 04-May-21 16:15:48

I had this due to low ferritin....had a whole host of weird symptoms including sudden loss of vision and hearing for a few minutes. but my ferritin was only 2.5. i doubt that MS would be the first port of call.

Mumma02 Tue 04-May-21 19:08:58

You have both made me feel better! That sounds scary @Bells3032! Was that actually due to low ferritin?!

Bells3032 Tue 04-May-21 19:11:05

Yeah. So little storage when I got hot my body couldn't carry enough oxygen. The doc was quite surprised I was still walking round

changedname1979 Tue 04-May-21 19:27:02

Have you had your thyroid checked? All your symptoms point towards hypothyroid.

Mumma02 Tue 04-May-21 20:27:35

Yes @changedname1979 I thought that too! Only Tsh but came back at 1.38 so GP said it was fine?

BlueShrew Tue 04-May-21 20:37:40

All those symptoms (tingling being a common one) can also happen due to B12 deficiency - which, if you have absorption issues, often goes hand in hand with low iron. Do you have any B12 test results?

BlueShrew Tue 04-May-21 20:39:00

Many people have "miraculously" recovered from what they thought was MS after having an intensive course of B12 injections.

gurglebelly Tue 04-May-21 20:47:10

My ferritin was 0 back in November and I had awful bouts of tingling in my arms and legs - it's gone since I've started taking ferrous sulphate

NameChangedForThisFeb21 Tue 04-May-21 20:52:41

My ferritin is 11 at the moment and the tingling is driving me mad. Also awful restless legs along with all the usual symptoms you’ve described. I get tingling in my feet, legs and scalp, fingers, hands etc. Been checked out for everything, pretty sure it’s just anaemia. Check out Iron Protocol on Facebook. It’s hard to get levels up, especially fast. I’ve been struggling for years now as don’t absorb it properly. Thinking about paying for an infusion.

Mumma02 Tue 04-May-21 21:17:49

Thanks so much for your replies. I did have B12 checked in December at my request and was just told it was "well within range". I've never suffered low iron symptoms until the birth of my second child 18 months ago. They just won't stay up! I've thought I've had so much more wrong with me if it is "just" that!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in