What could this be?

(13 Posts)
Lou0820 Fri 16-Apr-21 17:42:26

I have had a few chronic cough since January and it all started from an allergy which cleared a week later.

I still have a chronic cough, I wheeze often too mostly at night when I’m asleep, and sometimes I have a shortness of breath. I have never smoked.
I have been given a blue and yellow inhaler which I don’t see it making any difference.

Never had a problem with my lungs before. Do not have any underlying conditions. I am 54

I had my heart checked recently and it is ok.

OP’s posts: |
Youdontknowwhatyoureonabout Fri 16-Apr-21 18:26:13

Maybe you should request spirometry so they can diagnose what it is, it must be driving you mad. Our surgery aren’t doing it at the moment but are referring people to a drive in service at the local hospital to have it done, hopefully there is something similar in your area.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/spirometry/

Fairyrainbow Sun 18-Apr-21 15:58:20

Reflux??? I had some of your symptoms I now take lanzaprozole in the morning and peptac before bed and the night wheezing has completely gone, however if I forget to take it its back with a vengeance. A cough can also be a sign of reflux.

scottgirl Sun 18-Apr-21 16:11:02

Another vote for possible reflux.

Elieza Sun 18-Apr-21 16:22:34

Could the source of the allergy still be there? Perhaps you got rid of one offender but there were more than one? What have you changed. New flooring bedding or furniture? New washing powder bath products or foodstuffs? Partner being around something you are allergic to, like a dog or something?

Lou0820 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:47:22

Not sure about my partner as he has no allergies. I have had a bad reaction to fish salmon to be exact in January which caused my face to swell badly and has hives all over, but been told the allergy should be gone so could not be the cause of the chronic cough and wheezing, been told I’ve had wheezing all night whilst sleeping, I’m coughing here and there during the day.

Reflux? Don’t really get heart burns or is that not necessary?

Thanks all for replying really means a lot.

Elieza Sun 18-Apr-21 19:10:58

OP I meant could your partner be in a place at work or after work that he’s bringing dust or dog fur or something in on his clothes that then affects you. No matter whether it affects him.

What else has changed since January? It does sound like a possible allergy so if something was new, like a carpet or washing powder, it could be the cause.

Advertisement

Fairyrainbow Sun 18-Apr-21 21:10:31

I suffer from silent reflux which means I don't get heartburn and any obvious symptoms but I have subtle symptoms which I now know are related to reflux such as slight ear pain, wheezing at night, throat clearing/very slight cough. Give silent reflux a Google and see if your symptoms are similar. If they are its very easily treatable and the symptoms are alleviated pretty quickly.

Annietheacrobat Sun 18-Apr-21 21:15:57

Have you had a chest xray?

Lou0820 Mon 19-Apr-21 00:06:50

I have had an chest x ray at the nhs which said I had an enlarged heart which made me go private and paid for an echocardiogram which showed I had NO heart enlargement and the nhs also sent me for BNP blood test which came out normal, so they said my heart is fine. Nhs checked my lungs in the chest x ray and said it was normal, but it is making not believe the nhs anymore as they said my heart was enlarged when it isnt

Lou0820 Wed 21-Apr-21 18:45:07

I went to hospital this morning after a call with 111, I have been coughing and wheezing non stop last night with being short of breathe. I also then coughed up for the first time, and it was a green tiny pleghm. I’ve had a chest x ray done and blood tests which came out clear. Not sure what’s going on and my spirometry appointment is far away and they had no appointments for me any time soon.

Greybeardy Wed 21-Apr-21 19:40:55

Lou0820

I have had an chest x ray at the nhs which said I had an enlarged heart which made me go private and paid for an echocardiogram which showed I had NO heart enlargement and the nhs also sent me for BNP blood test which came out normal, so they said my heart is fine. Nhs checked my lungs in the chest x ray and said it was normal, but it is making not believe the nhs anymore as they said my heart was enlarged when it isnt

Xrays can make hearts look big when they’re not. It’s best to report what they see and get further investigations done (like an echo) than assume it’s an artefact and miss that someone has a knackered heart.
Hope you’re feeling better soon.

100PercentMe Wed 21-Apr-21 20:12:30

Hi OP,
This sounds awful for you. I'm only posting to say I recently had similar symptoms, and brain fog and tiredness. Also pain in my chest and upper back. Not the allergy though, and my GP started me on lansoprazole- like a couple of the others here, I had NO heartburn or burning in throat etc, but 14 days later the pain, cough, and now the fatigue have gone.
X-ray was clear too.
I also had an ecg and cardiac bloods taken first of all, to check for inflammation markers, which were clear- have you asked for those tests? My ECG was a bit abnormal- but a 'normal abnormality'confused Maybe a trial of reflux meds would be worth a try? Lansoprazole is for 'silent' reflux which doesn't cause usual symptoms- silent reflux can also irritate the airways and cause a cough.
I was sceptical though to start with, and also was given steroids and inhaler which didn't really help.
My GP thinks I could have had post covid symptoms- though I must have missed noticing I had covid confused
I do hope you get to the bottom of it thanks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in