Shocked. Need a hand hold.

(75 Posts)
UrsulaVdL Mon 04-Jan-21 21:56:36

Last Thursday DH had bloods taken as part of Routine/Preventative Health. He got a call this morning saying to come in for his results and have an appointment. We both thought this was standard practice where we now live, but he was shocked to the core at the results.

He is on the verge of T2 Diabetes.
His cholesterol is high, over 9 ... and that is just the stuff the doctor said they would have to get back to.

But his liver enzymes are horrific and he has to go for an urgent scan on Wednesday morning. I did not even know this morning what these stood for never mind signify.
GGT was too high to measure >1200; AST (GOT) is over 500, and ALT (GOP) was 60.

To look at you would say he was healthy/normal.
Is there anyone who knows what I should expect to be told on Wednesday. Even if it is dire, how can I help him if I am unprepared.
Obviously they have taken loads more blood today, but I don’t know what for.
He is in denial about the amount he drinks. I think it is over sixty units a week., his diet has a lot of junk too.

Just in case anyone asks. We are not in the UK, and thank god there is still some capacity for routine GP services.

OP’s posts: |
PoulePouletteEternellement Tue 05-Jan-21 02:52:38

Did you really mean 60 units a week?

Because if he drinks at the level you suggest, how can either of you have been shocked that it's impacted his health?

I'm sorry for your worry, though. (I'm assuming he has ignored all your repeated efforts to persuade him to drink less and eat more healthily?)

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 05:16:14

Yes. Thanks.

I mean shocked as in he is mid forties and you see results that are ten times the top of the normal range. Like stepping on a scales hoping your BMI will be less than 25, to see that actually it is at least 250.

He was encouraged many times to slow down but he has preferred not to. My guess is that he has only been drinking at this level for maybe two years. I would say he had fewer than ten alcohol free days last year. There was a time pretty recently where he didn’t drink on a school night.

Thack Tue 05-Jan-21 05:56:21

That does seem like a lot of drink!

Hopefully this will be the shake he needs to sort himself out while still young and healthy enough to do so. The liver is good at regenerating, treatment can only help.

The shock is understandable but this is such a positive towards a long healthy future. Keep strong, you will get to the other side.

LudoTrouble Tue 05-Jan-21 06:19:40

That would be a huge shock. Do you think he's willing to take it seriously and cut back on alcohol or will he put his head in the sand?

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 06:50:24

I do think he will severely cut back. Whether it lasts, who knows. He is the same with smoking, that if no one sees it then it doesn’t count.
Just feeling a bit terrified about tomorrow but hopefully it will be OK, and hopefully there will be an appointment with a nutritionist too.

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 19:56:58

Can I just bump this please.

Advertisement

Jakey056 Tue 05-Jan-21 20:02:30

Sorry for the bad news.
He can reverse the diabetes with lifestyle changes.
Smoking has to go. At that level of drinking and with those liver figures he is an alcoholic. You do know you are enabling him, sorry if that sounds harsh but every alcoholic has an enabler and in tbis case its you.
I hope he gets better. The cholesterol is a massive red flag. He has a lot of work to.do and I wish you both well and hope you can do it.

Roozy123 Tue 05-Jan-21 20:13:41

I had High liver enzymes had to repeat 5 weeks later to see if anything else was raised or if it lowered.
The 2nd blood test they were raised again in the liver, booked In for a scan which I had yesterday and I've been diagnosed with NAFLD. (non alcoholic fatty liver disease)
I never drink but eat take away too much and I'm 2 stone over weight.

I've been told it's moderate and I can reverse it with diet. I will hear off the doctor again Friday.

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 20:34:14

Thanks for your replies.

He said he has stopped smoking (again, he gave up for four years at one stage.)
He isn’t massively overweight, his BMI is between around 26/27. Food wise we (I) mostly cook from scratch but he will supplement with fry-ups/crisps/chocolate.

I don’t think I particularly enable him, and say heavy drinker/ drinks a lot. I generally don’t drink with him at home now. He knows but doesn’t like to accept- it is an attitude he learned from his father who would smoke secretly in the farmyard and say/believe “I’m a non-smoker”. He has some delusion that only the official ones “count”.

He is very scared, and of course both of us have been googling. I am scared for him. Realistically I cannot see any good news tomorrow, other than him not being jaundiced.

Roozy123 Tue 05-Jan-21 20:40:01

Fatty liver disease is very common, you also don't have to be over weight to have it.
The first question I was asked is do I drink alcohol, because that's normally the reason for fatty liver disease.

Good luck tomorrow with what ever the news is. 💐

FATEdestiny Tue 05-Jan-21 20:46:55

Is he drinking secretly and alone?

Or drinking socially with others, just not you?

Costacoffeeplease Tue 05-Jan-21 20:47:26

That is a huge amount of units, do you think he can reduce or stop drinking at that level?

MsTSwift Tue 05-Jan-21 20:57:01

He should read Downsizing by Tom Watson. He massively changed his mindset and lost a huge amount of weight. I had 2 stone to lose and found this book and intermittent fasting worked brilliantly. Am sane age and it really does mean breaking away from old habits

Roozy123 Tue 05-Jan-21 20:58:33

I may look into that book myself!

BackwardsGoing Tue 05-Jan-21 21:04:10

Only he can change. His lifestyle is a ticking time bomb. I'm so sorry he's put you through this OP.

Have you thought about contacting Al-Anon?

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 21:04:39

He isn’t drinking secretly, but he does drink alone.
He would also be happy to have an excuse for a lunchtime drink. The last time his brother visited be commented on it.

He has had two consecutive alcohol free days which is the first time in over a year, although he did say it would be boring not to drink.
It’s sad for him, and worrying and shocking.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Jan-21 21:05:51

So, to summarise man who has done literally everything you shouldn’t do for a healthy body is now surprised he’s not healthy 🤨.

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 21:07:41

BackwardsGoing

Only he can change. His lifestyle is a ticking time bomb. I'm so sorry he's put you through this OP.

Have you thought about contacting Al-Anon?

I’m sorry he has put himself into this path, but it is our children I worry about.

Shehasadiamondinthesky Tue 05-Jan-21 21:09:04

Well there you have it, he drinks loads and eats a rubbish diet. You can only do that for so long and there is NO way I would describe someone who drinks like that as fit and healthy just because they are not obese.
i ate myself into type 2 diabetes some years ago, had a massive panic as I am a medical professional, lost all of the weight and my diabetes has gone, my blood sugar has been normal for several years. I am teetotal now.
Life changes will have to happen, this is a grim warning of what is to happen if those changes are not made.

UrsulaVdL Tue 05-Jan-21 21:10:17

Fluffycloudland77

So, to summarise man who has done literally everything you shouldn’t do for a healthy body is now surprised he’s not healthy 🤨.

Yup! That’s basically it, but he wants to turn over a new leaf, and excoriating him for past failures doesn’t help anyone.

yeOldeTrout Tue 05-Jan-21 21:13:53

My cousin has a husband she adores... who refuses to try to do anything about his T2 diabetes. He is a lovely funny guy. I hope OP's DH keeps making daily progress.

AsMuchUseAsAMarzipanDildo Tue 05-Jan-21 21:25:11

I don’t want to burden you with more worries, but just to flag up... If he’s drinking 60 units a day, it may not be safe to suddenly stop. He needs to discuss this with his Dr - sudden alcohol withdrawal can be fatal - any detox he does will need to be very gradual or with medication to reduce the risk of a seizure or a stroke.

Hope you have some clarity tomorrow. As others have said, thankfully your liver is often able to repair itself.

Torvean32 Tue 05-Jan-21 21:26:59

Fatty liver disease is caused by poir diet and being overweight.

Alcoholuc luver disease is different.

If somebody changes their diet and loses weight a fatty liver is reversible.

Alcoh damagage causes cirrhosis of the liver. Your husvand ( with medical advice) needs to stop drinking.
Cirrhosis of the liver is much more serious and can cause serious issues. He needs to stop further cirrhosis.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 05-Jan-21 21:28:50

If this doesn't wake him up and make him change his ways, nothing will. The good news is that all of his issues are very likely reversible if he takes control of his diet and stops drinking. The choice is his.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in