Frozen shoulder thawing but now painful again

(10 Posts)
user1471530109 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:11:56

I have a self diagnosed frozen shoulder. It's common in T1 diabetics apparently, so I'm confident that what it is I reckon it started 18 months ago with the most painful stage all during lockdown. The poor DC had to help me dress. Sleeping was really difficult and to be honest, I don't know how I would have coped if I was at work blush.

Anyway. The painful stage eased and the range of movement has been small for months. I've got used to it and still can't wear a proper bra. But it's been so much less of an issue without the awful awful pain.

But it's becoming uncomfortable again. I'm struggling during the night and I've noticed the tell tail pain again. I knocked it the other day and the shooting pain bought back all the memories of how awful it had been.

Is this normal at this point? Should I be worried it's getting worse? I'd kind of forgotten all about it and whenever I struggled to put a cardigan on or whatever I reminded myself that it would thaw. I really am not sure I could cope with it freezing again and going through that pain!

OP’s posts: |
FourTurnings Fri 01-Jan-21 20:16:13

I’ve had this twice in my life and it is very painful. The only thing that really worked for me was a steroid injection into the back of the shoulder from a GP. This fixed it almost immediately both times.

user1471530109 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:22:21

Thanks Four. But it's more the fact it's started to hurt again that I'm asking about. It was June time when the pain eased up and by August/ September I was pain free. I think I had 4-6 months of the worst pain. Just before lockdown, I was teaching and hit my arm on the desk and had to grab the desk as it was so intense. It's that shooting pain that goes right through you that I've never felt anything like it before.
The last couple of weeks, I've noticed it being uncomfortable again....

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 01-Jan-21 20:31:29

You say self-diagnosed. Have you spoken to anyone about it? I’ve had horrendous elbow pain for months - I finally spoke to GP last week to ask for a steroid injection having self-diagnosed tennis elbow (not from tennis, just repetitive movement). He said he thought it was a slipped disc in my neck and that I should try some physio videos. I thought this was bollocks, as the pain wasn’t IN my neck! Anyway, tried the videos (and had a week off work which may have helped too) and the pain is all but gone. In 3 days!! Happy to send you the link, I’m sure the exercises couldn’t do any harm as it’s just stretches, a bit like yoga.

BestIsWest Fri 01-Jan-21 20:41:38

I think that happened to me the first time I had it. It was frozen for a couple of years then as it started to thaw I got the horrible pain again if I knocked it or moved suddenly (It’s a sickening pain isn’t it?) I went back to my GP and had a steroid injection into the joint and it was ok after that.

I’ve now got it in the other shoulder - I had four months of agony again but had hydrodilation this time. It helped a bit and stopped the jarring pain but it is still frozen. I’m two years in now, hoping for a thaw soon.

I would at least see your GP.

user1471530109 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:46:11

Bless you, Crumble. Had you done anything that had caused a slipped disc?
I haven't spoken to anyone as it coincided with the first lockdown. Frozen shoulder is apparently a common occurrence in type 1 diabetics, so I'm pretty sure it's that. The fact it got better and the pain eased and I'm coping with the limited movement meant I just got on with it.
The 'pain' I'm getting now is nowhere near the pain I had before. I think I'm just anxious in case it's going to get like that again. I just wanted to hear someone say 'yes, it does feel a little uncomfortable as it thaws' but goggle isn't helping.

user1471530109 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:48:42

Thanks, Best!

I'm so sorry you're going through it again. I'd feel daft going to a GP now after going through what I did in March/April. This is nothing compared to that.

Also. Does the injection hurt? I'm also concerned steroids mess up my blood sugar control and with covid around, it doesn't feel like a safe option at the moment.

Advertisement

BertyFlanter Fri 01-Jan-21 21:17:26

My frozen shoulder started in feb with the worst pain in lockdown. I've been in despair at times. It's my dominant left arm. I had hydrodilation in September privately as I had gone into the frozen stage. Hasn't had anywhere near as much pain for a couple of months before. I've had a couple of weeks of pain since then but it seems to have eased off again now. Still very little more ROM sadly.
And my right arm is now starting with the same tell tale zingers ☹️
There are some groups on Facebook I've found incredibly helpful, a good few k members so lots of advice and support. There is defo too little info around frozen shoulder. It's a terrible condition I wouldn't wish it on anyone 💐

BestIsWest Fri 01-Jan-21 22:27:07

I found the steroid injection ok though I did have a headache the following day. Don’t be afraid to go to the GP. It’s better than being in pain.

Bluesheep8 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:17:20

Self diagnosed? You need a proper diagnosis op. I've had a frozen left shoulder and assumed the same was happening in my right shoulder as the loss if movement and pain felt the same. It was impingement syndrome coupled with bursitis and required different treatment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in