Scared I have cervical cancer

(13 Posts)
NotAnotherPain Thu 03-Dec-20 16:42:27

I had a baby 17months ago and after my post party’s bleeding stopped I went onto the contraception cerelle. For the past 16 months I’ve bled for three weeks and then had a six week break constantly. I’ve also had back pain and some thigh pain too. Every time I’ve brought it up to gp they say it’s just the contraception causing it. I’m petrified

OP’s posts: |
NotAnotherPain Thu 03-Dec-20 16:42:58

Post partum that should say

dizzydizzydizzy Thu 03-Dec-20 16:44:40

Could you talk to a different GP?

Donotgogentle Thu 03-Dec-20 16:46:00

Whenever I’ve started progesterone only contraception I’ve had light bleeding for 2-3 months. Then my periods stopped completely, which for me has been a huge bonus.

Are you up to date with your smear tests?

sofiaaaaaa Thu 03-Dec-20 16:47:21

I reckon cancer would cause irregular bleeding all of the time, you wouldn’t get the 6 week break? Which may be why your GP thinks the contraception is the issue.

NotAnotherPain Thu 03-Dec-20 16:47:36

I’m only 21 so not elegible for smear tests

sofiaaaaaa Thu 03-Dec-20 16:48:59

So essentially you have a period every two months. Why do think you have cancer?

Advertisement

NotAnotherPain Thu 03-Dec-20 16:50:53

The bleeding lasts three weeks and stops and starts during this time

Donotgogentle Thu 03-Dec-20 16:51:50

Could you switch to condoms for a couple of months to check what happens?

Lemondrops41 Thu 03-Dec-20 16:58:45

My baby is 18 months. I have taken Cerelle for over a year with no issues, now I bleed every two weeks with brown spotting in between. The information leaflet that comes with Cerelle lists many different side effects including mine. My Doctor said the reason I was fine for the first year was probably due to breastfeeding.

I had exactly the same after my first baby. Eventually I came off Cerelle so we could try for another baby.

I would go with Cerelle being the problem. Have you considered trying another type of contraception?

sofiaaaaaa Thu 03-Dec-20 16:59:38

Cervical cancer would be more irregular than that though. Every day/week there would be bleeding, so it would be like your 3 weeks ALL of the time - there wouldn’t be the regular 6 week break without bleeding that you have. It doesn’t suggest cancer.

Speak to your GP for an investigation into your irregular menses but it’s more likely you have health anxiety more than cancer tbh. There are other things that can cause irregular bleeding, it’s highly likely to be an hormonal issue related to the pill you’re on.

NotAnotherPain Thu 03-Dec-20 16:59:51

@Lemondrops41 I can only have progesterone methods of contra eruption due to migraines

NotAnotherPain Thu 03-Dec-20 17:04:31

I absolutely hate autocorrect that should say contraception

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in