Broken finger?

(7 Posts)
TheOrigRights Sun 01-Nov-20 07:33:21

I caught a basket ball badly and hurt my finger nearly 24hrs ago.
It's very sore. How do i know if it's broken and if it is do I need to do anything?

OP’s posts: |
Didntgetmydiamondring Sun 01-Nov-20 09:14:58

You would need to have an X-ray to know if it’s broken.

Do you have a minor injuries unit near you? Tape it to the one next to it to keep it supported then have an X-ray.

Our minor injuries X-ray is actually closed over the weekend so we would have to go to A&E or wait until Monday. for DS fractured finger they taped it up, gave us a roll of tape and instructed us to keep it taped for 3 weeks then go to the fracture clinic for a follow X-ray. It healed fine.

nolovelost Sun 01-Nov-20 09:15:03

Strap it up to the next finger with medical tape, you can get it from a pharmacy. Not really much point in going to A&E as that's all they'll do. X-rays don't always show small breaks anyway.

pinkbalconyrailing Sun 01-Nov-20 09:18:07

the only way to know is an x-ray.
if it is in any way dislocated it needs to be aligned so it can heal well.
dexterity in hands is pretty important. get it seen.

Apandemicyousay Sun 01-Nov-20 09:27:07

@TheOrigRights I had this three weeks ago catching a netball. Went to a minor injuries unit who were not at all dismissive and had an X-ray which was fine and so basically was a ‘jammed finger’. Important to check as misaligned joints become arthritic and in your fingers that’s a pain. I was told to strap it on and off for a few days but found doing the hand san and washing hard, so mostly left it alone. It settled quite quickly although still can’t put rings back on and a tiny bit sore to touch or bend.

TheOrigRights Sun 01-Nov-20 09:36:47

Thanks all. No minor injuries unit - nearest X-ray is addenbrookes hospital.
I am on my own with DS2 (11) and they won't want him there.

I'll have a think.

OP’s posts: |
LarkDescending Sun 01-Nov-20 09:48:19

I have had several broken fingers/hand bones due to osteopenia. My hospital offers hand therapy after a fracture so it has not been pointless getting them diagnosed, as the follow-up physiotherapy has been helpful.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in