My circulation is really bad

(4 Posts)
Realitea Sun 04-Oct-20 12:01:22

I'm getting really worried now, my hands and feet are always cold and if i sit for too long my feet go blue!
I'm nearly 40 and it started about 5 years ago.
I used to smoke quite a lot and switched to vaping about 6 years ago. I only just realised nicotine does effect your arteries. I always thought it was something else in cigarettes that did that and thought vaping was safe. A doctor even told me nicotine is harmless! I feel such an idiot.
Is it worth talking to my doctor about this?

OP’s posts: |
Realitea Sun 04-Oct-20 12:01:54

I should also add I've been anaemic since I was 15, which might also have something to do with it.

madcatladyforever Sun 04-Oct-20 12:11:14

I think it's much more likely to be venous circulation which can be helped by walking and compression stockings.
I think it's unlikely to be arterial at your age unless there is a strong family history but if you are concerned ask your practice nurse to do an ABPI (ankle brachial pressure index test), a simple test involving a blood pressure monitor which would indicate whether or not you have an arterial problem which can be very serious and would inolve referral to the vascular department.
If it's venous insufficiency which is much more likely you can start treating that yourself.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/chronic-venous-insufficiency

Realitea Sun 04-Oct-20 14:36:30

Hmm..my dad has had problems with his arteries, I think. He had an aortic embolism and before that, a heart attack at 50. He was a heavy smoker at the time though and had a very stressful job. He's much happier these days! I don't know if that would qualify as a family history. I might ask for that ABPI. It would put my mind at rest. Hopefully they'll agree to do it.Thank you for that. I really appreciate it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in