Bony bump on head

(6 Posts)
MummaPI Mon 21-Sep-20 21:30:26

I posted a while ago with no replies and thought I'd try again, I cant be the only one!!
Anyone had a bony bump on their head and know what it is? Waiting for a scan but sometimes its uncomfortable and I worry.

OP’s posts: |
Besom Mon 21-Sep-20 21:39:25

Have they not said what it could be? Like under the skin? I had a keratoacanthoma (sp?) but this was diagnosed by sight. Didn't need a scan. Doesn't sound very pleasant and always a worry until you know what it is. I don't think you'd be waiting for a scan yhough if they thought it was anything sinister.

MummaPI Mon 21-Sep-20 21:56:35

They haven't said. I had an ultrasound which showed its not between the skin and the tissue so it must be on the skull. Keep telling myself that it can't be anything sinister because that would be on the inside I think. I agree that they haven't referred me for an urgent scan so can't be serious.

blackpinkinyourarea Tue 22-Sep-20 16:21:18

Yes! I have a hard lump about the size of a 50p on the top of my head which sprang up almost overnight. It took me years to make a gp appointment about it, and by then i had practically convinced myself it was cancerous. After a referral for an ultrasound it turned out to be just the natural shape of my skull (despite the fact it hadnt always been there....) and it wasnt a cyst as my gp had thought. The other weird thing about my lump is the skin on it gets very dry, no idea what thats all about. Is yours visible? Mine is well hidden by my hair but the hair on top of it is quite clearly elevated which bothers me a little , but nobody else has ever noticed when ive asked! It could be that yours too is just your skull, maybe they change shape in adulthood?!

Milliways Tue 22-Sep-20 17:35:51

I have a marble sized bony lump that appeared suddenly many years ago. I can no longer put my head back in the bath etc, have to turn it to the side as the bump is so prominent. Hairdressers etc always comment on it. I had it xrayed and it’s pure bone, likely following from a bump in the head. I was offered they could shave it off, but that involved shaving hair and bone shaving, stitches etc, so I left it. Doesn’t cause any problems unless have to lie flat on a hard surface, eg MRI, when I tell them and get a pillow.
Hopefully yours is similar.

MummaPI Tue 22-Sep-20 17:47:20

Thanks both, that is nice to hear. It certainly feels like my skull and is hidden by my hair. The hairdresser has commented on it too. I'm aware of it all the time but really hoping its just a natural shape too. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in