Infected ear piercing?

(12 Posts)
sarahjsdddd Thu 10-Sep-20 17:41:04

Hi all,

I had my ear lobes pierced on Saturday, I wasn't very consistent with salt water at the start but I've been doing properly since Tuesday evening. My right piercing is perfectly fine. My left piercing is hurting and has abit of blood & fluid coming out, and is quite swollen, my son also knocked it this morning which made it worse sad is it infected or am I being too hasty and do I persist with the salt water? I'm just worried as I'm leaving the country tomorrow sad but I don't want to get antibiotics unnecessarily

OP’s posts: |
HowDeeDooDee Thu 10-Sep-20 17:45:26

That does look sore. I would take the stud out and give your ear a good clean. If it doesnt improve without the stud see the dr or a pharmacist.

sarahjsdddd Thu 10-Sep-20 19:18:52

Thank you. The earring is getting sucked inside the hole now sad

HowDeeDooDee Thu 10-Sep-20 22:06:20

Take it out
You dont want the skin around it healing over the top. I had this and it went all yellow and crusty so I just took it out. Could it be an allergic reaction.

HowDeeDooDee Thu 10-Sep-20 22:10:02

Have you spoken to the person who did it. Maybe they can advise.

Yubaba Thu 10-Sep-20 22:10:24

Where did you have it done?
Hopefully a proper piercing studio and not Claire’s accessories
www.holier-than thou.co.uk/services/piercing-aftercare/

Yubaba Thu 10-Sep-20 22:10:33

www.holier-than-thou.co.uk/services/piercing-aftercare/

Advertisement

indemMUND Thu 10-Sep-20 22:26:10

DON'T take it out, you risk trapping the infection inside the hole as the outer layers close up. If it's getting sucked in you need to be seen by a professional piercer for advice, failing that then GP or some kind of medical professional. What is the earring made of?

dementedpixie Thu 10-Sep-20 22:31:23

didn't think you were supposed to remove an infected piercing as the earring helps keep it open for drainage. Hope you weren't turning it either as its best not to. Who did the piercing?

sarahjsdddd Fri 11-Sep-20 15:56:58

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the late response and thank you for your replies
I went to a professional piercing shop, they did use a gun though.
The swelling was building for a few days then I woke up from a nap and the earring had been sucked in, I couldn't cal the piercers as they were shut
A&E told me to go to urgent care centre, they removed the earring and gave antibiotics as it was infected and had some pus coming out. I really am confused as some say remove it and some don't? The doctor said I can try out an earring back in after 3 days (I wouldn't dare though!)

dementedpixie Fri 11-Sep-20 16:00:57

maybe the stem of the earring was too short to accommodate the swelling of your ear. Needle piercing causes less trauma than a gun

Mol1628 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:02:47

A professional piercer would not pierce with a gun. Especially a third lobe as they are mostly cartilage in a lot of people.

The earring you had put in will have been too short (they should be longer at first to accommodate swelling)

I would let them heal up and then go to a good piercer next time that only uses needles.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in