Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eye teeth and giving of Calpol/Nurofen/Medised.

(6 Posts)
herbgarden Thu 04-Oct-07 19:34:27

DS is 15 months he has four upper and four down and then four molars. His two upper eye teeth are just poking through . Do you think this might be the cause of our slightly unsettled nights at the moment? What do I do, give Calpol/Medised/Nurofen before he goes to bed whilst he's going through this or give it to him if he wakes up ? I don't usually give anything during the day unless he has a temp, but I'm a bit confused by the "only give for 3 days in a row" on the bottle of these things. He is generally a good sleeper but for the past couple of weeks he has been awful - waking up and crying up to a couple of hours on and off be it 2am, 4am, 12am - who knows. Don't want to do the wrong thing but also don't want to see him in pain.
He was very irritable today when I noticed that his other one is coming through too and was teary from 5ish onwards and also then didn't really want his tea- sent him to bed with some Calpol/nurofen inside him...
Anyone give me some advice on what you do at these times ? I am aware that you can't give Medised and Calpol together but can do a paracetemol based with nurofen together....

StrawberryMartini Thu 04-Oct-07 19:38:14

Can COMPLETELY sympathise. DS is 17 months and going through exactly the same thing. He's waking in the night and is up early (this morning was 5.30). I usually don't give anything before he goes to bed unless he's clearly in pain, and if he wakes up I give him milk first (still out of a bottle.. calms him immediately and sometimes doesn't wake up again), but then it's medised. I hate using it too much too. Sorry no useful advice!

boolepew Thu 04-Oct-07 19:40:04

My Dr told me to ignore the 3 days in a row, and it was ok up to 7 days in a row. I saw new Calpols' in Boots and I think one of them had something in it to help them sleep.

herbgarden Thu 04-Oct-07 20:27:47

what about homeopathic remedies?? Realised these might be slightly better. I'm just worried about the side effects of the drugs really..........

StrawberryMartini Thu 04-Oct-07 20:29:42

The only natural stuff I've heard of is the Ashtons teething powders - I give them regularly but have no idea if they are doing any good (it's chamomile extract).

Olihan Thu 04-Oct-07 20:39:33

I used to use Nelson's Teetha (you can get it from Asda or Mothercare) which is chamomilla. It did help a bit but the only thing that really helped the night sleeping was Medised. TBH, if you're only giving a dose at night it really won't do any harm if you have to do it every night for a couple of weeks until the teeth are fully through. Better to give medicine than leave him in pain, to my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now