Is there a physio in the house? Question about possible patellar tendonitis

(4 Posts)
foxtiger Wed 19-Aug-20 20:47:04

A bit of background: I had a knee injury a couple of years ago and had a few physio sessions - I never saw the same person twice, but they all acted on the assumption that it was an MCL sprain, which fits with where the pain was (inner side of knee). I had exercises to do and it gradually improved, to the extent that I have been running again since the beginning of last year, and was up to 10K earlier this year. My knee still hurt a bit occasionally but it there didn't seem to be any correlation with running, if anything it is more likely to hurt a bit when I first get up or after sitting down for a long time.

Now I think I might have a completely different injury in the same knee. It is more at the front and towards the outer side, below my knee-cap, and it is definitely related to running. If I run 5K I don't notice anything at the time but it hurts later in the day, after resting. If I run much more than 5K it starts to hurt during the run. I've taken to only running once a week at most, but so far the problem hasn't completely gone away. I've done a bit of research and I think it might be patellar tendonitis.

I can think of two things that might have affected it - one is that I had new trainers about 2 months ago, but this injury only appeared about 1 month ago, so I'm not convinced there's a connection. The other is that I've recently started walking a lot more - a 10km round trip 4 or 5 times a week - as I have gone back to my usual workplace and I'd rather not take the bus right now. But it never hurts during walking, unless I ran the day before. It feels like running on top of all that walking might be the breaking point!

Under normal circumstances I would probably self refer to the physio again, but because of Covid I don't particularly want to go to the hospital for something that isn't life-threatening and isn't even all that annoying as long as I don't run. But I would like to do everything I can to get rid of the problem by myself. I've read about a few exercises but wondered if anybody with experience of either having this problem themselves or working as a physio could say which ones are the most useful, or anything else I should be doing. Also is there likely to be any connection with the previous MCL problem e.g. overcompensating in some way and straining a different muscle/tendon?

OP’s posts: |
lljkk Wed 19-Aug-20 20:51:49

I've had PT but am not a physio. What you're describing is too technical for me. I know nothing about MCL.

My PT was caused by cycling without rest; blew up when I cycled 1000 miles in 3 weeks. I can do a lot of cycling nowadays but I assume I will always have a weakness. I get tendonitis everywhere.
Keeping my knees warm makes a huge difference, but otherwise rest was the only treatment.... maybe massage helps a little, break down scar tissue.

foxtiger Wed 19-Aug-20 20:53:41

Thanks! Massage is an interesting idea - it was recommended for the other injury but I hadn't thought of it this time!

MCL is the tendon on the inner side of your knee. I suspect the two things are unrelated but I'm not absolutely certain!

OP’s posts: |
kitkat463 Wed 19-Aug-20 22:25:50

Self refer to physio rather than taking advice off someone who may or may not be qualified to give it! I had a really useful video consultations with one and one normal appointment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in