Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats - any advice?

(14 Posts)
Bouncingturtle Thu 04-Oct-07 08:40:00

My DH sweats very badly at nights, often sheets and pillowcases soaked through and I've cuddle up to him and he has been sopping wet!
We only have a 4 tog duvet even in winter, make sure the heating is not to high - our bedroom is normally between about 18 - 20 deg C, and his a little overweight but not excessively so!
Do you think I should ask him to see a GP? It has been going on for years.

Bouncingturtle Thu 04-Oct-07 11:38:32

Anyone?

SpawnCorpses Thu 04-Oct-07 11:48:05

No advice, but my DH is exactly the same. He also refuses to go to the docs about it.

Bouncingturtle Thu 04-Oct-07 12:19:06

I suppose I could just divorce him grin

CarGirl Thu 04-Oct-07 12:27:51

dh often the same, he just sleeps so deeply he doesn't seem to realise he is hot and stick his arms/legs out from under the duvet - he sort of sleeps cocooned up in it regardless of how hot he is!

Bouncingturtle Thu 04-Oct-07 12:34:46

My DH doesn't do that he often tosses the covers off!

suenorth Thu 04-Oct-07 12:40:56

Might seem like an odd question, but does it happen wherever you are or just at home? And is he kind of a sweaty person generally? (Don't mean that to sound mean - some people just are.)

I had night sweats (but it's gone now) a year or so ago and my doc took a blood test to do a full blood count. I can't remember what he was testing for but it might be worth having a quick chat with your doc just in case. I presumed I was getting menopausal (probably not yr dh's issue smile) but I think it was just a bizarre reaction to a new mattress!

Bouncingturtle Thu 04-Oct-07 13:00:30

He is not a paricularly sweaty person generally and was fine at my mums. We bought a new mattress about a year and a half ago, from Ikea - a foam one. We've always had sprung mattresses before, you think this might be it?

suenorth Thu 04-Oct-07 13:27:48

Don't know but maybe it could be the mattress, if the timings tie in. The one that I didn't take to was one of these bodyfoam-remember-your-shape type ones (can't remember the name - are they latex?). We still have it though and it's fine now. If he's ok in other beds then maybe it's worth thinking about.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 04-Oct-07 13:33:43

bouncing turtle,

I would try and get him to see his GP because there may well be an underlying medical cause for the night sweats.

CarGirl Thu 04-Oct-07 13:37:10

the reason why my dp sweats excessively is partly to do with all the anti allergy protection we have on the mattress on duvet so I do think it could be the new mattress it doesn't breath as well as previous ones and is making him hotter?

nailpolish Thu 04-Oct-07 13:38:11

id get his thyroid checked

nailpolish Thu 04-Oct-07 13:38:33

its a simple blood test
and if it is his thyroid its very easily rectified

Bouncingturtle Thu 04-Oct-07 14:20:15

Thanks for all your advice. We still have our old bed in the spare room so we'll try sleeping in that bed. But I think I'll will get him to see the gp as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now