Anal fissure

(7 Posts)
Palmtree76 Thu 06-Aug-20 12:25:08

I am at my wits end with anal fissures. I got my first one in March when I was going through a stressful period with my Dad and Uncle dying. It went away on its own but came back with avengance during lockdown.

I get weeks when it’s fine but went out with friends on Friday night and ate a rich meal with wine and then next morning was in terrible pain.

I’ve been taking Dulcoease stool softeners, my diet is good and I eat wholegrains and vegetables. I’m regular and go every day so never constipated. I was given suppositories first which sort of helped and then as it’s got worse I’ve been given the GNT stuff which hasn’t made even the tiniest bit of difference.

I’m in agony. I have a bath every day. I’m on ibuprofen x3 times a day to keep the pain at bay. I’m working from home so sat down constantly, the only relief I get is lying down or in the bath. I’ve been crying all week I’m in so much pain. The doctor prescribed GNT via phone but the idea of someone touching me as I’m so much pain fills me with dread.

Any help?

OP’s posts: |
suggestionsplease1 Thu 06-Aug-20 18:01:48

This sounds awful OP. Have you been examined by a GP? Perhaps that would help them establish the best course of action going forward. They might be able to give you something to numb the area first to make examination more tolerable? I have heard some people can suffer from these more frequently when they have inflammatory bowel conditions as well, I don't suppose that might be relevant in your situation? Although if it just one that is taking some time to heal this is less likely.

I had one in the past when I was a teenager, and , as you describe it was very painful for some time, and seemed to split again some weeks later. But it did completely heal in time. Hope you get some relief soon.

C4tintherug Thu 06-Aug-20 18:21:52

I had this and it was literally one of the most painful things in my life. The only way that I could get a small amount of relief was by having a bath.., sometimes I would have a bath at 3am, another at 5am.... it was just awful. I feel for you. In the end, I had Botox (had it done privately), it worked for a while, then it cane back so I had another lot... touch wood, I’ve been ok ever since.
The GTN ointment did used to provide some relief... are you (sorry for being crude) shoving it right up there? Needs to go in at least an inch.

One of my biggest fears in life is having another one of these bastards as they just take so long to heal.

Jeschara Thu 06-Aug-20 19:33:52

I had diltiazen, it worked for me. It was prescribed by the consultant at the hospital I attended. You have my sympathy, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced, relentless and truly awful.
I wish you well OP, and hope you get relief soon.

Palmtree76 Thu 06-Aug-20 21:03:01

Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice!

@suggestionsplease1 I don’t have any kind of inflammatory bowel condition I don’t think. Always very regular, never really bloat or struggle with any pains. This literally came on after a stressful period and I think I just wasn’t eating enough (of any food not even right food) and so got constipated then this happened!

@C4tintherug lord I’ve been sat in baths DAILY trying to sort this. Love a bath anyway but this is the only way I can have a few hours of relief. It’s awful! The issue with the GTN is as you say “getting it up there”. It’s so painful to even insert a finger, I feel like I’m not getting enough up there! And as the ointment is so thick I feel like I lose half of it trying to push it up there if that makes any sense? I’m petrified of having botox down there, will happily shove it in my face but not in my arsehole!

@Jeschara thanks for this- was it tablets or ointment?

OP’s posts: |
Jeschara Fri 07-Aug-20 09:45:51

It was a ointment, I dont know if things have changed but at the time my GP could not prescribe it, it had to be prescribed by the hospital doctors.
Very best of luck. I truly feel for you, unless you have had one you cannot describe the pain.

Haworthia Fri 07-Aug-20 09:47:12

I think you need a better stool softener. Movicol (also called Laxido) is really effective. You can get it on prescription or OTC.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in