Can you give me a logical reason for musical hallucinations by 4 different people.

(7 Posts)
applemousey Sun 02-Aug-20 11:40:23

My grandmother has been declining with what seems the beginning of dementia for a couple of years. She's now in palliative at home, (cancer) with my DF staying there.

She complained of 'church music' a few years ago every night, keeping her awake. Also the neighbours were 'having parties' playing 1920s music. It was assumed by family (and drs) it was the onset of dementia.

A year ago my aunt and uncle stayed there (they live overseas) and my uncle complained of the music keeping him awake.

My DF stayed a few months back and heard it himself. He looked everywhere and couldn't find it, it had woken him up.

The care nurse who has been staying overnight, unprompted said she had heard the music, she said it's quite common, she's heard it before in other dying patients homes as well as other nurses reporting similar experiences. Just wondering if anyone has had this before? All I can find online is audible hallucinations, but surely this can't happen with 4 separate people? And is there a logical explanation?

OP’s posts: |
Owleyes16 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:51:19

It depends how open-minded you are, really. I know exactly what you're talking about, I've heard the 'church music' myself but it's 'woo' and I know a lot of people scoff at anything like that. Nurses and carers in end of life care all end up having very similar experiences regardless of what they believed beforehand.

iklboo Sun 02-Aug-20 12:01:22

I sometimes get auditory hallucinations when I'm tired or stressed. Not church music per se but definitely classical. I have to ask DH if he can hear it or if it's just me.

applemousey Sun 02-Aug-20 16:24:05

@Owleyes16 I'd love to know the 'woo' too, my staunchly no-nonsense 'what a load of rubbish' father is currently freaked out 😂 so I'm really interested to know any and all reasons behind it.
So, neighbours have been asked, no music is played there at night, they hear nothing. The loft has been checked (but honestly hasn't been used in years and years)
It's a quiet street, no church nearby, no shops nearby.

applemousey Sun 02-Aug-20 16:25:14

And I actually suffer auditory hallucinations (not recently) from anxiety and stress.

applemousey Sun 02-Aug-20 16:26:26

@iklboo mine sound like a generic Ed Sheeran song! 😅

applemousey Sun 02-Aug-20 19:31:37

Hopeful bump.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in