Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to clear baby's nose?

(10 Posts)
becsta1 Mon 01-Oct-07 11:55:18

Does anyone know where I can buy one of those baby nose cleaners? I think thye're called aspirators. Has anyone used one and do they work? My DS tends to snuffle and I think it my be a reason he bobs off my breast sometimes, as he's finding it hard to breathe. Any other tips would be appreciated.

dirtmonkey Mon 01-Oct-07 14:06:52

Hi becsta
My dd had several awful colds when she was tiny & we got the aspirator (in our house it was called the bogey sucker blush) from Boots. I think I've also seen them in John Lewis. It worked really well although she hated it being done. Also, if your ds is blocked rather than runny ask your pharmacist about Sterimar, it is a salt water nasal spray which is safe for babies. It sprays a very fine mist into the nostril which helps to soften the stubborn stuff before you use the aspirator.

summer111 Mon 01-Oct-07 14:24:52

I always used saline drops. I found if I squeezed a few drops in dc's nose, it would trigger a sneeze. So I'd arm myself with a tissue to catch whatever the sneeze brought out! It worked really well when they had runny noses, I might add smile

RubySlippers Mon 01-Oct-07 14:25:57

you can get them from most chemists and they work a treat
they are called Snot Suckers in the RubySlippers household wink

MaeBee Mon 01-Oct-07 14:52:27

i find sucking the best cure. some people find it totally disgusting, but i didn't mind, it was quick, free and did the job much better than a nasal spray/aspirator.

Tortington Mon 01-Oct-07 14:52:47

gravity - and a tissue

LIZS Mon 01-Oct-07 15:37:08

Chemist like Lloyds or Boots, otherwise a small pipette would do the same. [[ http://www.thebabycatalogue.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H1078]]

LIZS Mon 01-Oct-07 15:37:25

sorry www.thebabycatalogue.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H1078

NoNameToday Mon 01-Oct-07 15:51:27

Gently massage the nose above the affected nostril, mucous will descend to outlet, then wipe away.

Easy, free and painless.

olivo Mon 01-Oct-07 19:01:37

nasosal drops - we've used them since dd was tiny. the sterimar is good too ( i have used it myself) but i think it hurts a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now