Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

5mo gotta chest infection & wont drink water! How could I make it taste better?

(5 Posts)
Tangas Mon 01-Oct-07 11:37:12

Just been up to the doctors and been given antibiotics, was advised to give him plenty of fluids. But DS has never liked drinking water, so how could I persuade him without adding sugar?
Also he's got the "squits" so really need to get fulid in him soon!! Any sujestions... PLS HELP ME.. sad

LilBloodRedWantsGore Mon 01-Oct-07 11:39:48

If he is bottle fed you could give him a weak bottle, say 4oz water and only two scoops of powder.

Baffy Mon 01-Oct-07 11:47:38

I didn't think you were supposed to give formula milk 'weak' I thought you always had to match the scoops with the oz otherwise it could give them stomach pains

Not too sure what to suggest about the water though - add a tiny tiny bit of sugar free cordial?

Would it be the end of the world if you did have to add a bit of sugar just to get him to drink - surely that is better than nothing?

RubySlippers Mon 01-Oct-07 11:49:35

sugar can make the runs worse
try to syringe some water in
keep offering it - a sip here and there will build up
or get diorylite from the chemist

LilBloodRedWantsGore Mon 01-Oct-07 13:17:58

Just going on what I was told when DD was projectile vomitting, by NHSDirect. They said to give her the same amount of milk in 24 hours but to give it twice as often (so two-hourly feeds instead of four-hourly) and to water it down so she was getting the same calories over a day but more fluid.

It's only a short-term measure though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now