Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP MY BABY HAS A COLD.

(6 Posts)
typhoonsmum Mon 01-Oct-07 07:09:54

My 7 week old baby has a cold. He had just got settled going to bed at6pm and waking for feeds thru night but going back to sleep afterwards. He was lovely. The past few days he has been struggling with his bottles and sneezing. Last night his breathing was chesty and I was lucky if I could get 1oz down him before he started to cry. I'd put him to sleep and he'd wake half an hour later. He is only 7 weeks old. I can't give him anything. The vapa rub I found in the medicine cupboard says not for use for children UNDER 5. (Dd has been using it for years and she is only 4)Can't use Calpol till he is two months old. I suffer badly from colds and become a right narky cow when I can't breathe so I feel for him I really do but what can I give him to help.

WaynettaVonSlob Mon 01-Oct-07 07:14:43

Can you use Karvol at this age? If you can, then put some drops in a bowl of warm water next to his oct, and with any luck the vapours should ease things for him.

tribpot Mon 01-Oct-07 07:16:31

I'd pop down to the pharmacy this morning and ask them what's suitable for such a little one. Hope he's feeling better soon.

mytwopenceworth Mon 01-Oct-07 07:22:14

Run a bath -just hot water. close bathroom door so it is really really steamy in there. Go in there with him. The steam will help clear him up. Do that regularly. He'll be fine. Kids are snotty 90% of the bloody time. grin

mytwopenceworth Mon 01-Oct-07 07:23:24

to clarify - when I said go in there, I meant the bathroom, NOT the bath....I am not advising you sit with him in scalding water!! grin Sit on the loo or the floor with him, door shut, room will become very steamy.

slim22 Mon 01-Oct-07 07:38:20

Get a room humidifier. It's a lifesaver (for U too).
If you can afford the expense, it works better and quicker than sitting in bathroom.

Make sure the room does not get too warm when using it, keep door open for ventilation.

It cuts down the lifespan of cold and helps loosen the phlegm and open airways.
Ask your pharmacist.

I think you must not use any sort of eucalyptus like substance on infants because risk of convulsions. There again ask your pharmacist.

One of those old fashioned nose suction pumps is also quite handy with little ones. You should use it with sea water spray (physiomer at the pharmacy). There is a baby version with micro pulverisation.

Hope gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now